RASD 10/9/18: World Cup Qualifiers, Becky vs. Charlotte, MMC

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/10/10/rasd-10-9-18-world-cup-qualifiers-becky-vs-charlotte-mmc/

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE SMACKDOWN 10/9/18:
This week’s SmackDown from Indianapolis featured two World Cup Qualifying matches with Jeff Hardy vs. Samoa Joe and Randy Orton vs. SmackDown’s newest acquisition Big Show, the latest instalment of Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair, Miz TV with AJ Styles and Daniel Bryan, and the conclusion of “One Night in Milwaukee”. Wai Ting reviews this week’s Mixed Match Challenge with Bayley & Finn Balor vs. Braun Strowman & Ember Moon and COUNTRY DOMINANCE vs. AJ Styles & Charlotte Flair.

We discuss TODAY’S TOP STORIES including the latest on Kevin Owens, Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis added to UFC 230, Dustin Poirier out of his fight with Nate Diaz, the matches announced for Power Struggle, teams for the Super Junior Tag League and more.

Enter our #POSTHaiku contest to win a copy of “Creating the Mania” by Jon Robinson from ECW Press by sending us a Haiku poem on Twitter @POSTwrestling for your chance to win a copy.

Plus, Café feedback, comments & questions from the POST Wrestling Forum.

**THIS WEEK ON THE PATREON DOUBLE SHOT**

• John reviews a recent interview conducted by David Penzer on the “Sitting Ringside” podcast with Impact Wrestling executive Ed Nordholm on the state of the company
  • John & Wai then preview Bound for Glory this Sunday
  • Wai reviews the latest episode of Total Divas, featuring Lana seeking publicity for an on-screen push, Naomi vs. Sugar and Natalya’s wardrobe malfunction at WrestleMania
  • A review of the UFC Fight Pass documentary, “Country Boy Can Survive: The Story of Matt Hughes’ Fight for Survival”, produced by Rory Karpf
  • Wai talks the PCO documentary, “Burn the Ships” by filmmaker Kenny Johnson
  • Plus, reviews of the latest editions of “Ten Pounds of Gold” and “Being the Elite”
The Double Shot is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons.

Rewind-A-SmackDown Theme by THE IDENTiTY CRiSiS
theidentitycrisis.com / youtube.com/theidc

Subscribe to POST Wrestling
iTunes & iOS | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss this show at the POST Wrestling Forum
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support our Patreon - The POST Wrestling Café
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Follow us
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

Regarding the Saudi Arabia discussions:
I think the discussions about this are vastly overblown. Mainly because WWE is first and foremost an entertainment medium and I’d argue it has very little if any political influence.

People who enjoy wrestling aren’t of a specific political leaning…they don’t share a specific set of views…its like a movie or a typical book. Its a product that caters to the masses regardless of views.

So why are we treating these shows like their a big deal?
I certainly don’t appreciate or agree with the way Saudi Arabia operates as an outsider but my political views doesn’t make me feel that country should be banned from tv, gaming, sporting events or general entertainment.

If your concern has to do with WWE making the host area look like a positive place to live then explain to me how this differs from their shows done in the UK, Japan, or Canada. It’s important to consider that U.S and Saudi Arabia have been dealing in imports and exports for many years. WWE taking their business to that country isn’t anything new.

I wouldn’t even bring this up normally but the subject of Saudi Arabia comes up in wrestling shows all over youtube and here almost every single show for months now. I think its important to get some perspective here. Major U.S. corporations working peacefully with Saudi Arabia in spite of VERY different political views is nothing new…and so its strange to think that wrestling discussions give this so much weight and importance.

If the WWE were just going to Saudi Arabia to promote a show on their own, I don’t think the criticism would be anywhere close to this.

The difference is, they are going there because they are being paid by the Government an enormous amount of money and is essentially a Government initiative. What is the Gov’t paying for? For a PR campaign on WWE broadcasts. That is what you got in April, complete with PSAs that endorsed the Government and the changes being made.

What other WWE shows feature Government sponsored messages throughout the broadcast in exchange for a lucrative contract? Much less one that has the human rights track record that the Saudi Arabian Government possesses? And are in the midst of a story where they are accused or murdering a journalist.

It’s not the idea of the WWE operating their business in a foreign country, it’s the notion they are in business with the Government and having to balance the ethical nature of that deal against the enormous profit they are taking in for these shows.

What is the WWE endorsing on their broadcast? Maybe the better question is “Why?” are they endorsing this on their broadcast and the answers force you to evaluate this at a deeper level.

2 Likes

I appreciate the reply as it does shine more light on why this is a bigger deal than I felt it deserves.

Makes me question why the performers aren’t getting quite as much flak as the company. Not so much the regular guys as they have no real choice in the matter (beyond quitting their jobs and breaking contract agreements) but those who CHOOSE to come back for massive payouts.

Should we think less of Michaels, Cena, Kurt and Taker for ‘selling out’ their moral integrity to put massive support behind these shows? These are 4 people who are more than wealthy enough to turn down a big money offer and continue to live comfortable happy lives after all.

1 Like

The Saudi Government is essentially a WWE business partner in this case.

There is a huge distinction between running a show in a country and being business partners with a government or foreign entity.

We saw WWE go to great measures to distance themselves from Hulk Hogan over racist comments. They have made a choice to never bring up Donald Trump - a member of their hall of fame and long time friend of the company (nothing to say about Linda working for his administration). But here, they are openly advertising for the Saudi Government in exchange for funding to do shows there. It’s is a business transaction and it’s clear who is on the other side. What’s shocking is that we’ve seen WWE distance themselves from their own history to avoid controversy and here they embrace it.

Business is business but the choices here are interesting.

This is spot on! I can’t fault guys who don’t have alternatives but how about the guys who do have loud enough voices (and big enough bank accounts) to stand against this.

1 Like