Recommended Matches: 2018

If you like in-match storytelling and psychology, Suzuki vs Tanahashi is a must see.

2 Likes

Aries vs. Riddle from HOH.

Honestly wasn’t my cup of tea. I won’t go into why because I’m sure there’s people that haven’t seen it that will check it out and love it, but some of the stuff they did just didn’t work for me. It was a good match, solid for the most part and the story telling was quite enthralling at times, but certain parts didn’t click to my eye and that held it back from being truly special to me.

I totally get why people love it though and wouldn’t tell people to steer clear unless I knew their tastes well enough to do so.

I’m sure most, if not everyone, here watched the Royal Rumble but I wanna put it out there now that I highly recommend both the men’s and women’s Rumble’s. They were both very well booked and very entertaining. I’ve seen some say that the men’s is top five of all time, which I wouldn’t argue with (although I’ve not seen every Rumble ever) and would add that the women’s might be top ten of all time but I’d have to watch all the Rumble’s to be sure.

Dragon Gate New Years Gate

Zachary Wentz & Dezmond Xavier vs Flamita & Bandido - Super easy to watch tag match with some highly innovative stuff.

Walter vs. Timothy Thatcher from Progress Chapter 62: Fear No More, Come to Dust. It was bloody brutal and incredible to watch.

1 Like

I co-sign that recommendation @Christian. That match was excellent.

New Japan’s New Beginning in Osaka show had some great stuff to offer. Kitamura’s match with Nagata was his best effort since the trial series began, YOSHI-HASHI finally got my attention in his match with Naito, Ospreay/Takahashi was blinding and the main event between Okada and SANADA was easily SANADA’s best singles effort since I started watching the promotion regularly midway through last year.

1 Like

Agree with that @JT_Grizzle
Also, the Gota/Okada v Evil/Sanada from korakuen last week was excellent.

1 Like

I’d put BT Gunn vs. Bram from ICW’s Square Go. Probably the best Bram looked and it showcased how good BT Gunn is.

Very true. Good shout, genuinely thought I’d already put it out there but clearly not. :rofl:

I really liked this idea of capturing all the great matches throughout 2018 to look back on at the end of the year but it hasn’t been updated in awhile.

Just off the top of my head

NXT TakeOver New Orleans:
Ladder Match for the North American Championship
Ember Moon vs Shayner Baszler for the NXT Women’s Championship
Alister Black vs Almas for the NXT Championship
Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa Unsanctioned Match

Wrestlemania 34:
Kurt Angle & Rousey vs Triple H & Stephanie
Daniel Bryan & Shane McMahon vs Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn
Charlotte vs Auska for the Smackdown Women’s Championship

4/10 Smackdown:
Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles

2 Likes

Kento Miyahara /Shingo from champion carnival on 7th April was fantastic

Suzuki vs Riddle from Bloodsport is a real fun match if you’re short for time.

1 Like

I missed this thread or I wouldn’t have started one on five star matches in 2018.

We’re seriously missing the awesome of Will Ospreay. His match versus Matt Riddle from the WWN supershow was awesome. His match against Marty Scurll at Sakura Genesis was a match of the year contender.

Also the four way at wrestle kingdom with him, Scurrl, Kushida and Hiromu was a piece of art.

Would add Kento Miyahara vs. Shuji Ishikawa from Hakata Star Lanes on Sunday 4/15 in the Champion Carnival

1 Like

Semi regular match update

NJPW Dominion:
Kenny Omega vs Okada 2 out of 3 falls match for the IWGP HW Title
Chris Jericho vs Naito for the IWGP IC Title

1 Like

I really enjoyed Pentagon Dark vs. Matanza Cueto on episode two of this new season of Lucha Underground.

We’re do I even begin?

All of Zack Gibson’s matches from the two nights at the Royal Albert Hall;

Summary

vs. Jack Gallagher, vs. Travis Banks and vs. Pete Dunne - the Flash Morgan Webster match is skippable but still very good and adds to the continued story of the making of the Shankley Gates submission hold.

All three instances of Moustache Mountain clashing with Undisputed from the last three days; British Strong Style vs. Undisputed, Moustache Mountain vs. Strong/O’Reilly, and Moustache Mountain & Ricochet vs. Undisputed.

Also, Akira Tozawa vs. Tony Nese on 205 Live is getting slept on - check it out.

1 Like

Lucha Underground, season four, episode three - Mil Muertes vs. Jerimiah Crane vs. Fenix. Crazy ass brawl. I love how whacky Lucha Underground is. It’s utterly ridiculous but so much fun.

If you’re a long term Progress fan I can’t recommend Ospreay vs. Havoc from Chapter 75 enough, it told an incredible story with a ton of action. I was invested from the very beginning.