REPORT: Dates for WWE premium live events in May, AEW Double or Nothing

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/02/23/report-dates-for-wwe-premium-live-events-in-may-aew-double-or-nothing/

Several post-WrestleMania premium live event dates have been reported for the month of May.

Brandon Thurston of Wrestlenomics reported on the Wrestlenomics 30 podcast that WWE is set to hold two premium live events in May.

The first event that month is scheduled to be Backlash and will take place on Saturday, May 6th with the company returning three weeks later with King and Queen of the Ring on Saturday, May 27th.

No locations for the events have been confirmed. In WWE’s fourth-quarter and year-end earnings report, they stated a large-scale live event (Saudi Arabia card) was expected to occur in the second quarter of 2023.

Thurston added that AEW’s Double or Nothing event is expected to remain over Memorial Day weekend and take place on Sunday, May 28th, which would be the day after the WWE premium live event.

Additional WWE events for the year include Money in the Bank on Saturday, July 1st at the O2 Arena in London, England, and SummerSlam from Ford Field in Detroit on Saturday, August 5th.

I get why you can’t just call it “King of the Ring” anymore, but they’ve got to come up with a better name for that event… actually, Crown Jewel would’ve been perfect if they hadn’t already used it.

This is bound to piss off Tony Khan.

2 Likes

So… Chyna (finally) confirmed for the Hall of Fame this year?

tumblr_oxz89964Gg1vaosveo2_400

She’s in, she went in with DX.

1 Like

Yeah, that “Queen of the Ring” joke wasn’t good.
truth-my-bad

It’s actually really surprising king/queen of the ring is coming back. That event has meant absolutely nothing and has such little value as a “PLE”.

Also May 6 has a UFC and Canelo fight so they better load up Backlash

Strictly playing defense, IMO. I wouldn’t be shocked if location, promotion, etc. are all that of a glorified house show. For the majority, we’re just talking about giving people “more bang for the buck“ on the Peacock subscription. So if the event makes a profit, there’s pretty much no downside… seeing how WWE doesn’t care about things such as oversaturation or overexposure.

2 Likes

Yeah odd choice agreed. I mean there is a chance UFC doesn’t have a big card bc of Canelo fight but tough weekend nonetheless