REPORT: MJF no-shows AEW Fan Fest meet & session

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting

Iā€™m sorta afraid itā€™s another example of people losing the ability to think critically. Itā€™s like how willing some of us are to believe even the most outlandish conspiracy theory.

1 Like

Posted this in the other threadā€¦ But this one seems to be where the action is.

All the speculation Iā€™ve seen surrounds the followingā€¦

• MJF is unhappy with his current deal. A deal he signed at the beginning of AEW for a lower end paid salary.
  • Kahn isnā€™t willing to give MJF a raise without renegotiating the entire contract, which would likely mean an extension.

My opinionsā€¦

• MJF has become one of the top talents in AEW since the company started. He became one of the top talents by being given the platform AEW has given him, and the booking around him.

• The booking of MJF has allowed him to work with all the top guys. And as such gas become a top guy. One of the reasons he was given all these opportunities is because AEW was under the impression they had him for a five year deal and could take their time with him.

• TK has dealt with way more businesses than wrestling. Trying to strongarm him at the 11th hour for a raise (despite fulfilling his current contract), probably isnā€™t going to work.

• Iā€™d say the company is in the right if itā€™s a situation where MJF wants a raise, which TK is likely willing to give, with a full renegotiation. Which would, in my opinion, fairly come with new terms from the original, so likely an extension. Since, it would be a new deal.

• If this is purely about money, it feels like an uncrediibad move on MJFā€™s behalf. Why would anybody ever put trust in him again, without having the worry heā€™d hold them up for money down the road?

• MJF is likely making huge merch money on top of his salary. So thatā€™s something to consider.

• People are comparing and peculating that this is similar to Sasha and Naomi. I donā€™t see a parallel, other than being talents being unhappy. The big difference seems to be on the Sasha and Naomi front, talents willing to work who are unhappy creatively and over their portrayals. MJF is at least, for now, totally being speculated around being motivated by money. Creatively, Iā€™m not sure how MJF could be portrayed any better.

Iā€™d say that with any of the WWE talent desputes that have ever become public over the last while, this feels different because it all comes down to financial terms.

• MJF really isnā€™t in the driverā€™s seat here. Heā€™s got a deal with two years left on it. Him refusing to honor it due to being unhappy financially, will totally fall at his feet. Unless there is way more to this.

Again, all pure speculation.

Maybe this is a workā€¦ And I feel like it could definitely turn into one.

2 Likes

So, with MJF apparently not leaving, if he is still goin to be on DoN, id start the show off hot with an angle. The show starts with the commentary team going over tonights show and then MJF storms out from the back, wearing his suit and cuts his own ā€œpipebomb.ā€

Tony Khan comes out and says MJF is not going to take this moment away from Wardlow to earn an AEW contract and Wardlow comes out, 10 powerbombs and beats him in 30 seconds. MJF stumbles up after the match and says he quits.

To the ā€œitā€™s all a workā€ peopleā€¦

Whenever these types of stories come out, when has it ever been a work?

5 Likes

I asked this in one of the Sasha threads.

Give me the example in the last 20 years of any company working fans this hard.

1 Like

An add on to my last post, I would actually have MJF come out at the very end of the buy in. Actually use it as a way to get people to buy in.

I would have MJF disappear until All Out and he shows up as the joker in the battle royal and wins and then somehow wins the title at the end of the night(if Punk is the champ and the show is in Chicago.)

A timeline I saw posted on twitter of the random bits of reported news over the last day or so.

That would be strange if true

Does he just want to be in the WWE? Whatā€™s the end game?

I think the short-sighted attempt to make as much money as possible. But there are a lot of holes in the plan.

I think the issue is that I canā€™t really imagine, if legitimately this is the whole story, ANYBODY having sympathy for MJF given the circumstances.

Dave seems to be implying itā€™s a bit of a Pillman work. You have to wonder if they want to drum up interest in this PPV against a game 7 or something.

Or itā€™s just MJF going into business for himself. Heā€™s probably doing a job and so he takes control here to make himself the story.

Either way he doesnā€™t appear to be actually no showing.

Ingesting comment about the fan fest - not a lot of interest?

1 Like

If itā€™s a work, I would be more willing to believe he did it more or less on his own and this wasnā€™t some grand plan from TK and AEW

Heā€™s probably losing on the pay-per-view again. Heā€™s lost a lot on paper views lately. Itā€™s possible that heā€™s wanting to keep interest in his character high

However it was also very bizarre for Tony to tweet out that MJF is bringing his real life contract situation into TV

2 Likes

It wasnā€™t a tweet. It was an answer at an presser I believe.

Somebody asked him about the situation, and thatā€™s how he responded. Which seemed fair.

MJF responded with the deleted tweet.

Yea thats right the deleted tweet. Like the whole thing is weird. It does seem like MJF working his character and overcoming all the jobs to stay relevant and position himself for 2024

1 Like

I think most of the people thinking itā€™s a work are thinkingā€™s itā€™s a work from that perspective. I really doubt Khan is behind it.

The pipe bomb? Not the exact same thing (what is though)ā€¦ā€¦I remember that night lots of fans thought CM Punk went off script and into business for himself.