REPORT: Sami Zayn re-signs with WWE

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/01/20/report-sami-zayn-re-signs-with-wwe/

WWE and Sami Zayn come to terms on a new deal, per report.

Sami Zayn’s nine-year run with WWE is continuing, as Fightful Select reported that Zayn has signed a new deal with the company.

He is currently a member of the SmackDown roster and was most recently in action on the 1/7 SmackDown during which he lost to Rick Boogs in singles competition. Back in December, Zayn won a Gauntlet match to earn a shot at Shinsuke Nakamura’s Intercontinental Championship but that one-on-one match has not happened as of this writing.

Throughout his run with WWE, Zayn has held the NXT Title and is a two-time Intercontinental Champion.

Last month, Kevin Owens opted to re-sign with WWE and explained that it was the best decision he could make for his family.

The sports-entertainment company’s next Premium Live Event is the Royal Rumble on January 29th and both Zayn and Owens are scheduled for the men’s Rumble match.

As soon as Owens signed, I figured this was around the corner.

I have mixed feelings, on one hand I would have loved to have seen him in AEW, on the other hand, I do watch both and I dont want all the good wrestlers leaving WWE, not to mention, I dont really want to see anymore WWE guys jump over for a little while. Hopefully he gets a larger role moving forward, IMO hes one of the best they have on the roster, and while he has been used, I think they can do more with him.

I mean, as much as I’d love to see what he could do elsewhere in the current landscape - I totally can understand why he is staying put.

He’s usually in a featured spot. He seems to be one of the go-to people for celebrity involvement. And he’s very dependable.

1 Like

According to Bleacher Report, Meltzer reported that Owens was offered between 2-3 million per year, so I have to imagine Zayn was offered between 1-2.

Maybe this is WWE’s strategy, get rid of all the lower end guy that are no longer on the way up, and use all that money to pay the guys on top a ton so they stay put. Who knows.

Here is where I got my info: