REPORT: Sammy Guevara suspended by AEW

Yeah that’s fair. But that spot was setup and likely cleared ahead of time so he won’t get in trouble for shattering the glass in the wrong direction.

Plus those fans seemed to be happy anyway lol

I’m guessing Guevara was told Jeff had a concussion and was told to end the match and then the dumbass still did his finish which is another blow to the head.

You can tell by the reactions of the ref and doctor at ringside. The guy just isn’t very bright

1 Like

If he’s concussed, ring the bell. End the match. All these half measures lead to confusion. Why does the ref even count the 3?

3 Likes

I dunno it sounds like this protocol sucks. If it’s so obvious the match should stop then someone who knows better than Sami in this situation should call it off. The referee, the doctor, Tony Khan, like if this is such a blatant breach of protocol it should have been an easy call for one of them to make right? It’s hard for me to take “look at how mad the doctor is” at face value when the doctor himself engages in the show business aspects of wrestling also. I do like that at least AEW are trying something to combat these situations but it doesn’t sound like this is the answer to me.

This story is begging for more attention because it doesn’t make the most sense right now. Though Sami does have a strangely specific history of wasting Hardy Boys.

1 Like

I still stand by that if he was “in protocol“ and anything happened other than the bell ringing immediately, then the protocol sucks and multiple people probably bear some of the responsibility.

But yeah, if he was told that the guy was concussed and his instinct was to deliver a kick to the head, just fire him.

1 Like

Mox has talked about this

He wants a wrestler and doctor to watch the matches and call it off immediately if there is a concussion.

concussions are not always readily apparent. It’s not like somebody can’t tell you the time or date and the diagnoses of a concussion is made. It’s tricker

You won’t always know and that person may tell you they’re fine. I think what should happen is once it is suspected the match be stopped. But in this case, maybe it wasn’t immediately apparent and by the time they figured it out rather than stop to match the may have just said quickly pin him and then, for some reason Sammy did his finishing move. It’s a lot of confusion. It would be better to have just a strict protocol.

It’s just difficult because unlike an arm injury for instance, that person can’t tell you very often with a concussion. They’re not gonna say that because they may not realize it themselves. I think here once it was determined, they should jus have ended the match with the referee, calling it off or DQ or something. Like Sammy could’ve grabbed a chair and ran in and then hit the referee. There were lots of ways to do it

So, I was reading some comments here and I think it really might be time to cut bait on Sammy.

So, recently, Mike Santana left AEW and while he is an excellent talent, his main issue is, he was apart of an insanely stacked roster. As a singles heel, he’s competing with Christian Cage, Takeshita, Hangman Page, Wardlow, Hobbs, Strong, Joe, the list goes on and on. He had no chance as a singles heel in AEW at this point in time.

So, you look at Sammy, who is on his third suspension and compare him to an incoming Okada. Ospreay, Swerve, Copeland, Kingston, Cassidy, etc. He’s just not worth it anymore. His spot is filled. Maybe he could be used as a star enhancement talent for the heels to beat up and build them for title matches, but what’s the point of this guy.

I think this situation is a lesson where, the bell has to just ring and you can’t trust talent to stop, even if they’re the one of sound mind.

2 Likes

I still they could use him like Dom in WWE - a cocky heel who everyone hates who gets beat up easily with a girl (Tay) by his side. But that’s his upside limit

2 Likes

The problem is TK loves Sammy. That’s the reason he has been pushed over and over again despite all his screw ups in and out of the ring.

His other problem is that he seems to be a natural heel but wrestles like a baby face. I just don’t see the fit with him in AEW anymore. So many have passed him by and even after all this TV time and multiple pushes he is still really sloppy

1 Like