REPORT: William Regal wraps up with AEW, finalizing new deal with WWE

There is another possibility which seems logical to me but hasn’t been speculated on. Regal needs help with a health condition and better health insurance. His terrible health conditions are well know. By going back to WWE as a corporate employee he gets access to better health insurance and their massive network of resources that have saved his life more than once.

If it’s help with a health condition he needs I can see Tony making an exception to release him from his contract early.

1 Like

You’re all putting too much thought in to this. I would stake my mortgage on Regal simply asking Tony for a release so he can return to his previous role in WWE, and Tony being a gentleman to a legend of the business and agreeing. He probably got a few more weeks out of Regal to write him out and give MJF a rub.

3 Likes

And may even be getting favorable nation status in return among the WWE Universe :face_with_monocle:

New Day vs Elite anyone ?

It definitely sucks that a major on screen character in Regal that was just in a main event storyline (and head of the BCC with a lot of big stars) suddenly out of the blue left back to the competition.

Very weird.

HHH tweeting out that thanks to him for War Games clearly is done knowing he’s back in the fold - again if Tony let him go out of the goodness of his heart a little odd for HHH to throw that up when he did.

I feel like there is more here than we know (or will ever know). Either there was a clause Regal exercised or something related to people wanting him gone.

We know Mox is signed long term but what happens to BD or Claudio ? Do they resign or go back?

I think Danielson signed for three years, so he’s only really 1 year in at this point. No idea what Claudio signed for.

Tony answered everything about Regal’s departure in today’s media call. Totally can understand given his own situation at the moment of the conversations, why he agreed to let Regal go be with his son.

2 Likes

Not only that, but he put over MJF on his way out. I don’t have a problem with short and effective runs for talent.

What I don’t want is the WWE situation where you have guys like Miz, Ziggler and Kofi who have been stuck in the same spot doing the same stuff for 15-plus years.

1 Like

I think that will get less and less common. You’re talking about guys who got to WWE at a time when there was no NXT and no AEW (and I don’t recall many younger guys who went to Impact over WWE voluntarily). If you were a midcarder making WWE money in that era, that’s a hard thing to pass up in favor of the ROH/TNA/Indy/Japan circuit.

So while WWE may not stop overexposing career midcarders for years (Ali, I’m looking in your direction) I think there will be fewer guys who just accept that situation.