REPORT: WWE informs talent to stop using "outside third parties"

Planning.

I read some of Paige’s comments. Here’s my question: if she is so DONE with the company, she can leave no? I understand she probably makes a lot of money, and there are tons of additional personal reasons she is staying, but the reality is, she would get a good paycheck elsewhere, likely become a cult figure for leaving, and get to control her own destiny? Why is she staying?

According to Google (so take with a grain of salt) Paige earns $250,000/year from WWE.

Do you honestly believe she can make anything close to that outside of WWE, especially during the pandemic?

I totally get the frustration, and I’m not siding with WWE, but the reason why WWE gets away with this kind of stuff is that they most likely pay their performers significantly more then anyone else, especially when it’s someone who can’t wrestle anymore.

250K but limited twitch revenue is likely a lot better then say 50K plus all her twitch revenue if she were to get a job elsewhere.

Again, not defending WWE, but answering your question as to why she’s likely not leaving.

4 Likes

I may be way off base, but $250k for Paige doesn’t seem unreasonable once she can do indie and convention appearances. Maybe she’s just hanging on for now while paydays are tougher to come by.

My gut tells me you’re way off. Pandemic aside (as you did imply that), for her to make $250K/year, she would have to make around 5K a week doing conventions/appearances.

She isnt able to wrestle (or at least she shouldn’t), and most conventions are on the weekend, that would mean she would essentially need to earn a 5K appearance fee each weekend which I would imagine is pretty much impossible for someone of her celebrity.

Though, like you said, I also may be way off base.

Has anyone seen a quote or heard any wrestler say what they earn at these conventions? I googled and found nothing.

1 Like

This article posits that Paige was making at least $45K per month in Twitch subscribers: http://stillrealtous.com/details-on-how-much-money-paige-makes-on-twitch/

I don’t know what she would actually take home from that after Twitch gets a cut and whatever else, but that’s a gross of over $500K per year without leaving her house.

3 Likes

Damn! If that guy is right, that’s more that I thought they could make on twitch. I can see why she would want to keep that AND WWE. Doing independents and conventions would be peanuts compared to this.

I totally hear ya @kilq on the $250k/year but here’s the thing I get hung up on. IF she wants to make claims like “I broke my neck twice for this company” “I can’t take this company anymore”. Then leave!! Unless they are paying for her medical expenses that are hundreds of thousands of dollars she doesn’t have, them why would somebody stay somewhere they absolutely despise? And fine, if the answer is money, then she is making a choice to be paid handsomely and while it’s absolutely wrong what WWE did here with the third party stuff, she probably should not cry foul like she is if she’s also making a choice to stick around and take their money.

3 Likes

For the record, I completely agree.

2 Likes

I don’t me tone insensitive and I’ve let
My thoughts be known about how terrible it is for talent to let their profession be devalued. That said, I don’t cry for Paige making healthy 6 figures choosing to stay with WWE for whatever reasons. Can’t get it both ways on this for me.

I also could very well see WWE not releasing her under any circumstance as she strikes me as somebody they rather pay than deal with the kind of issues she may hit them with if fully unleashed.

Something tells me there is a lot more to this relationship between her and WWE. Sex tape, Alberto, her history with drugs, breaking her neck twice and her claims of being over worked. Not attempting to make conspiracy or judgement just looking at what we know to be facts about her history in the company.

I think it’s safe to say that WWE’s investment in “Fighting With My Family” saved her job a few years ago (Paige here!). It seems that she’s made the best of the second chance up to this point, and hopefully she continues to do so. So she may feel a little bit of loyalty/gratitude to WWE that makes it tough to leave.

1 Like

Pure tin foil hat here: She also may be sitting pretty on royalties from that and likely doesn’t own any piece of it so she’d be cut out if she left :man_shrugging:

I mean take a look at her mansion, don’t cry for Paige.

1 Like

You have different types of streams. You have Paige and Zelina who are doing “shopping channel” where if you sub you get merch. Paige is the most successful one (subscribers wise) You got Drew Gulak who is chatting and commenting matches (I love his streams). You got Cole who is not interacting with his chat and is just playing games with his friends. The others are half chatting and interacting/half playing games.

Big vote in California last night. Can someone smarter than me put this in a “pro wrestling” context? Is this a step toward Titan Tower heading west?

It’s a lot more nuanced but in short:

Pro outcome would say: it allows gig workers to continue working part time and at their own will. They are legit independent contractors who get W2s and can make their own schedule and don’t receive benefits

Against outcome would say: it allows those companies to continue to have labor without being forced to give them benefits; that this allows the big companies to be more profitable and not pay benefits.

It’s actually a wild argument but how I’ve heard it talked about: if it passed, the companies would have to make part time independent contractors employees meaning they’d have further reach over them as a result of giving them benefits. This would be with regards to hours and revenue sharing and likely result in the loss of part time workers who drive for supplemental income but would not accept a full term employment status. Therefore supply of drivers down, demand for services same, prices go up, public loses, company finds a way to stay profitable.

Because WWE has extended its reach so aggressively with their Independent Contractors it would make sense they’d be viewed as already treating talent as employees oppose to letting them really be IC