REPORT: WWE releases Tom Phillips

Originally published at REPORT: WWE releases Tom Phillips

Former WWE Raw commentator Adnan Virk began his stint with WWE following WrestleMania 37. He and the company ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways and a formal announcement was made on 5/25. Prior to Virk, it was Tom Phillips at the Raw commentary desk alongside Bryon Saxton and the now-released Samoa Joe. According to a report from Fightful, Tom Phillips has been released from WWE.

The site added that Phillips’ release was a part of a string of cuts across several departments. The company’s Advanced Media Group is merging into the TV department and individuals who worked on WWE’s YouTube channel and their official website were laid off. There were also SVPs and EVPs of certain departments that were cut.

Phillips was most recently on Raw and he was also a commentator for SmackDown, NXT, NXT UK and 205 Live throughout his tenure in WWE.

When Adnan Virk was brought into the fold, WWE noted that Phillips would be moving behind the scenes and also going back to 205 Live commentary.

Following Virk’s exit, filling in is now MMA commentator Jimmy Smith who has been working with NXT. Smith was the narrator for Finn Balor and Karrion Kross’ recent Prime Target special and he was a co-host of the TakeOver: Stand & Deliver kickoff show.

This decision doesn’t make a lot of sense. Being on the commentary team for WWE does not seem like a very fun experience. I thought Phillips was fine, and was especially good with Graves but I guess Vince isn’t a fan.

1 Like

Cant say I’m surprised after the hiring of Jimmy Smith, they clearly didnt want him as the lead guy on Raw. I liked Tom, but at the same time I did find him rather generic, I just cant tell if that was him or the way he was being directed. Either way, sucks anytime someone looses their job.

Can’t imagine how they think they’re going to hire someone off the street that’s going to be better than Tom was.

As the Virk experiment proves, no matter how much Vince wants approbation from people with “real” sports experience, anyone with that experience just won’t tolerate the schedule and micro-management inherent to WWE commentary seats. Canning someone like Phillips who, while pretty milquetoast, could have been your next Cole, is madness.

2 Likes

Disappointing. Just disappointing.