REPORTS: WWE releases Breezango, Killian Dain, Ever-Rise, Bollywood Boyz (Updated)

Originally published at REPORTS: WWE releases Breezango, Nese, Ariya Daivari, Ever-Rise, Grey

Several reports have confirmed that WWE has made another round of releases with the following performers being let go:

• Breezango (Tyler Breeze & Fandango)
  • Tony Nese
  • Ariya Daivari
  • August Grey
  • Ever-Rise (Chase Parker & Matt Martel)
  • The Bollywood Boyz (Sunil & Samir Singh)
  • Marina Shafir
  • Curt Stallion
  • Arturo Ruas
  • Killian Dain
  • Tino Sabbatelli

Mike Johnson of PWinsider.com reports that Tony Nese, Ariya Daivari, August Grey, The Bollywood Boyz, Marina Shafir, Curt Stallion and Arturo Ruas have been released.

Daivari confirmed the news by stating on Twitter, “Thank you all for the kind words and support. It’s time to put sports entertainment behind me and get back to professional wrestling.”

Nese and Daivari had been part of WWE since 2016 when they entered the Cruiserweight Classic and later were part of the 205 Live roster where they have been working throughout the run of the series.

Nese won the Cruiserweight Championship at WrestleMania 35 at MetLife Stadium defeating Buddy Murphy in April 2019. He held the title until June that year losing to Drew Gulak.

August Grey previously wrestled as Anthony Greene and signed in 2020, making his 205 Live debut last October.

Fightful added that Tyler Breeze, Ever-Rise (Chase Parker and Matt Martel), Killian Dain, and Tino Sabbatelli have been let go.

Breeze (Matthew Clement) has been with the company since 2010 and was trained at the Storm Wrestling Academy by Lance Storm. He went through several names and characters before finding success as a male model named Tyler Breeze in 2013. One of the highlights of his WWE career was his match against Jushin Thunder Liger in August 2015 at the first TakeOver event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Breeze was one of the featured talents on the WWE Network series “Breaking Ground” and was called up to the main roster in the fall of 2015. He struggled to find a strong role until he was paired with Fandango and they began participating in weekly vignettes on SmackDown. In 2019, the team moved to NXT and been wrestling there since.

Ever-Rise are natives of Quebec where they previously wrestled as 2.0. and 3.0. as Scott Parker and Shane Matthews.

The pair were introduced by WWE in the February 2019 class at the Performance Center. They were introduced on television as Ever-Rise in September 2019 and were doing many digital segments for the company including as hosts of the pre-pre-show for the TakeOver: In Your House event earlier this month. They appeared on this past Tuesday’s episode losing to Top Dolla & Ashante Thee Adonis.

Additionally, Fandango (Curtis Hussey) posted a message thanking Vince McMahon, Paul Levesque, and Stephanie McMahon-Levesque for the past fourteen years.

Fandango, who previously wrestled as Johnny Curtis, first signed a developmental deal with WWE in 2006. He came up through Deep South Wrestling and Florida Championship Wrestling in WWE’s developmental system. He was also part of the lengthy fourth season of NXT prior to receiving the Fandango character in 2013.

He was introduced in a strong manner, defeating Chris Jericho at WrestleMania 29 in April 2013. This led to a short period where his theme song got over at all the live events and had a cult attraction with the fanbase.

Since 2016, Fandango has been linked with Tyler Breeze as Breezango on SmackDown and part of NXT since 2019. The pair held the NXT tag titles for two months in 2020 defeating Fabian Aichner & Marcel Barthel in August and dropping them to Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch.

Breezango had just started a storyline with Fabian Aichner & Marcel Barthel after beating the Imperium members on the June 15th episode of NXT and were attacked by Imperium after the match.

Killian Dain shared his thoughts about his release in an extended post on Twitter:

Chip is back on my shoulder.

All future enquiries:
[email protected] pic.twitter.com/HLp8ezk0Hu

— Damo (@DamoMackle) June 25, 2021

My bad, 2 weeks ago I commented how to UpNXT how shocked and pleased I was to see Breeze and Fandango not be cut yet.

Must be budgetary reasons. This company is the worst.

I saw great upside with ever rise and they were always on TV.

Why are they still filming 205 live at this point?

2 Likes

Breeze wasted so much time in NXT. And why does 205 Live even exist anymore?

Because Nick Kahn’s actuarial tables indicate that they can still flood Peacock with the contracted number of hours of new content per week without these people. We need to stop thinking of the WWE as a wrestling company or even a mainstream media company at this point - they’re a fast food restaurant that never closes (or tries not to), and Khan’s the shift manager. It doesn’t matter if the food sucks or if the person behind the counter is a trained chef or a stoned teenager, he just needs to keep the place staffed and open.

6 Likes

They only exist to create nice spreadsheets for shareholders. That’s it.

I’m not going to be anything but empathetic for the wrestlers that lose their jobs today, but it’s funny what the reactions are when they do this.

Fans of WWE and not of them whine about WWE hoarding wrestlers to keep them away from competition. What do we think happens when they start skimming the bottom of the tank like those people are asking them to do? When John and Wai, not incorrectly, point out on their shows wrestlers at the bottom of many shows having no room to grow with bloated rosters and have been doing the same thing for years, how do we think that gets rectified? We hate the 24/7 division…well if it’s now gone, do they need 90% of those wrestlers? And jeez, when was the last time anyone but Sino actually watched 205 Live?

Of all the cuts they’ve been making lately, this one at least I understand almost completely (arguable about Ever Rise, but while I found them entertaining, I think we had already seen what they were going to be in this company, and it probably wasn’t wrestling). I mean, I’ll cry about spreadsheets when they release main roster members they’ve actually invested in or haven’t tapped the potential in, but today? It mostly leaves me hoping they’re going to do something more interesting with a new 1 hour taping window they suddenly have.

1 Like

AEW should bring in Fandango to get squashed by Jericho in a “WrestleMania” rematch

1 Like

Summer Rae, also available. Get the gang back together.

2 Likes

Was that Summer Rae or was it that original brunette (who I was a big fan of)?

Who Da Fook are half these people?!

I love Killian Dain’s comment about the Chip being back on his shoulder…dude, maybe you should never have taken it off. I got no sympathy for some of these talent who pretty much admit they were on cruise control to get the paycheck (reading between the lines, some of these talent knew full well it was a dead end but keep getting them checks right?!)

As always, happy for those who got to earn for all this time, but zero sympathy anymore as they all know exactly what they signed up for and many of them probably saw larger paydays than they would have ever before. Also, if you go to work for an evil empire, don’t be shocked when they turn on you. Looks like nobody is actually surprised anymore, but fans can’t help themselves from pho-outrage (not here it doesn’t seem, but on the Bird Machine).

I seriously don’t know if I could pick August Grey or Curt Stallion out of a lineup.

5 Likes

This was my my exact same thought when WWE signed guarenteed revenue contracts a number of years ago. They would become the wrestling equivilant of McDonalds. AEW coming along in 2019, Vince had flash backs to the regional / national wars of the 80s and 90s and panicked. It took Nick Khan to make him realise its all about churning out quanity , not quality, and they can do whatever the fuck they want. I wonder will I (Im 43) ever see a time when WWE money is not guranenteed and they are forced to rip up the playbook and start from scratch? Probably not, but who knows?

4 Likes

I feel bad for anyone who loses a job especially at this time when jobs are hard to come by.

A lot of these people I don’t think will draw major interest from AEW although Impact and NJPW are options.

I was surprised by the Bollywood Boyz. They played their role with Jinder well I thought and did great of what they were asked to do.

1 Like

I would only like to see Ever Rise in AEW, just to appear on BTE. I hope they don’t sign anyone else from this round of cuts, though I can see Breeze, because he’s pretty close with Spears.

I think Killian Dain would be great in Impact.

1 Like

Ever-Rise / 2.0 / 3.0 have been one of the most consistent and overlooked teams of the last 15 years. I think the biggest strike against them is the most exposure prior to WWE was mostly Chikara. Unfortunately, a lot of what they did never got out of that bubble.

I really would love to see them have a run in any of the other TV Promotions in the US. AEW would provide some great matches, not to mention what they could add to Impact or ROH.

Very hopeful for them.

Also disappointed by AG’s release. He’s got limitless potential, and I am sure he’ll do great things somewhere.

1 Like

Getting rid of the Bollywood Boys is proof that Nick Khan probably told whoever had the idea of NXT India, NXT Brazil, NXT Somalia, NXT Antarctica, etc - it’s not a good idea. And he’s right.

If you’re planning India expansion you don’t get rid of those guys. I saw them on the local indies here and they are good talents but I never expected them to get a five year run with WWE - they are just too small. I think they overachieved by sticking around for so long.

The names released yesterday were not surprising, the only one that kind of surprised me was Dain. He’s big, has a unique look and can go. I thought they could have done a lot more with him

2 Likes

Dain’s issue is that he is big in NXT but not that big on the main roster. He plays the monster role and he isn’t big enough to do that on the main roster.

1 Like

True, he’s just a guy I think they would be worried about someone picking up. His wife is also under contract. And if you’re keeping NXT UK he is the perfect guy to stash there for years.

The Shafir release says to me that Ronda is never coming back. Shayna will be next when she’s done playing with dolls

1 Like

As I recall Rhonda is pregnant? So I think that means you have to rule out at least the next year or two.

She could always come in a few years and they bring back the remaining women for a short run. I just think there’s no point in keeping them around waiting for that when you don’t have much for them in the meantime and odds are low that they’re going to catch fire somewhere else.

2 Likes