Rewind-A-Dynamite 1/22/20: I’m On A Boat

Baker needs to hit a babyface in the mouth with a bat and then leave her dental business card.

For the life of me I can’t complain about this promo. Maybe the way they cut it at the end, cause I’d like to see how they actually ended the interaction.

1 Like

See to me it didn’t come across as personality it came across as “I’m acting like a heel”. Let me make comments about Tony working at starbucks that I stumble over, say I am the best looking person on the boat. It came across as a laundry list of what can I say to piss people off. Done in a manner that did not read as genuine at all.

1 Like

It definitely wasn’t polished but it got heat. I’d rather have guys and girls go out there and get their reps in rather then perfectly rehearse lines.

Yes making fun of Tony got cheap heat, and her being awful at it got her booed. Sorry but I think you have a big double standard when it comes to AEW if you saw someone in NXT cut this promo you would kill it. Now maybe that is because it is bad writing and not off the top of someones head (or memorized lines they made up, which is what this came across as to me), but as a consumer bad is bad. I was glad to see someone from the women’s division get mic time, but then she opened her mouth and showed why they haven’t been getting any.

1 Like

Yeah, you lost me here, pal.

It was like a 2 minute promo designed to put over Baker as a heel. It did the job.

It was bad, she sounded terrible, and like a cookie cutter heel. The Librarian gets heat, are you telling me those are good promos?

You think that segment on NXT wouldn’t have every AEW fan saying “OMG that was so awful”? I do. I would have thought it was bad too, and I like the show. I have not been as hard on Baker as most but this was terrible.

She entered the match as a face and left the segment with heel heat. So yeah I think it worked. Definitely a little sloppy but I dont mind that in a wrestling show

If it is the exact same segment, I wouldn’t say it, because it entertained me. Was it the best thing on TV ever? Not even close. But the interaction between both was coming out natural, the audience reacted to it… WTF more do you want?

1 Like

She entered the match as a tweener at best and left as the heel. Her opponent was getting cheered throughout the match. And yes she got heat by insulting a fan favorite legend, and bragging. Cheap heat…not good promo work or is insulting the local sports team also good promo work if it gets you booed?

Natural? Who talks like that? That was the problem it did not sound natural at all it sounded as if she was reading off bullet points of how to get heat from a crowd with bad delivery.

Below all delivered with almost no inflection in her voice

“Tony you’re better than that, don’t question my character. We all love you here, this is AEW you’re here you’re a big star we’re so proud of you this is your meal ticket, cause we all know before this you were at starbucks.”

“We are so proud to have you here because before this you were just working as a shitty barrista.”

“They don’t look down to you for that, and they look up to me.”

“I’m a role model, and that is a lot of pressure, it is a full time job, and I’m the hottest girl on this boat.”
“look, look don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful stop it stop it stop it.”

“listen I’m smart, I’m educated, I’m brilliant, did you know I’m a dentist.”

So what do I want?

Good delivery? A promo that seems like more than a rambling of things she thinks will get cheap heat? Lets run down the list of tropes in her promo

• Insult the beloved legend
  • Bad guy says she’s the role model
  • Bad guy brags about appearence
  • Bad Guy brags about intelligence

Want to fix the promo -make it 30 seconds cut it at the below and it would be an ok promo instead of a rambling mess. Even better if she could deliver it with inflection.

“Tony you’re better than that, don’t question my character. We all love you here, this is AEW you’re here you’re a big star we’re so proud of you this is your meal ticket, cause we all know before this you were at starbucks.”

“We are so proud to have you here because before this you were just working as a shitty barrista.”

_mic drop walk out to a chorus of boos.

With a little tweaking it would be better, but delivered right (which it wasn’t) these lines would be fine. But then she rambles on through a laundry list of tropes into the break.

LOL

I think you’ve thought a lot about this. It was like 2 minutes. Was it perfect? No. But it served a purpose. Like I said I’ll take this over scripted nonsense any day

I get that you want better delivery. But how are you going to get better delivery, if there isn’t a start? She’s had virtually no promo time. They don’t have house shows. This is her start as a heel. Was it great? No. But it was far from terrible.

So you will take this over a good scripted promo? I hate bad wwe scripting too, but bad ad lib promos are not really any better. Is this better than if the same thing had been scripted…absolutely because then I don’t have to think about someone writing the horrible promo and thinking it is good work. But it still needed a lot of work, and I would put it up there with one of the worst promos so far this year, that is not part of a bad WWE marriage angle.

See to me I much prefer this over anything Bayley, Charlotte or basically any woman on the main roster is scripted to say. They dont sound like real people. I prefer someone not sounding polished rather than a robot reading lines.

1 Like

TO me she didn’t sound like a real person either, she just sounded like a robot reading off bullet points instead of a script. Her voice was largely monotone.

She sounded like a real person - someone who’s rarely done a live promo, lol. I just like these sink or swim situations that wrestling used to put people in. She can only improve from this type of experience, as opposed to WWE people all sounding the same in the same tone and talking about the same things.

Baker just needs to start bashing people in the mouth more and offering dental services.

She did show us she is a real person, a real person who is way out of her league. The content of the promo was fine to me, it was the presentation. Looking like you are cutting your first promo isn’t good heat heel.

1 Like