Rewind-A-Raw 1/27/20: Edge Speaks, WrestleMania Takes Shape

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/01/28/rewind-a-raw-1-27-20-edge-speaks-wrestlemania-takes-shape/

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE Raw featuring Royal Rumble fallout and the return of Edge.

Coming out of the Royal Rumble, Raw built up to a segment involving Edge addressing the audience and shooting a major angle. Plus, Drew McIntyre announces his plans for WrestleMania, MVP returns for a match with Rey Mysterio, Andrade vs. Humberto Carrillo for the U.S. title, Seth Rollins and Buddy Murphy defend the Raw tag titles, Riddick Moss debuts, and more as the build to WrestleMania 36 begins.

Plus, the results of POST Wrestling’s 2020 Royal Rumble Pool.

NEWS OF THE DAY

• The latest on Edge, WrestleMania and more
  • Andrade suspended for Wellness Policy violation, per report
  • Initial plans for both Royal Rumble matches
  • AJ Styles injured during the Rumble match
  • Marty Scurll appears at the New Beginning USA card and issues challenge to Jay White
  • The Briscoe Brothers re-sign with Ring of Honor

And your Café feedback, comments, and questions from the POST Wrestling Forum.

Photos Courtesy: WWE

Rewind-A-Raw Theme by Colby John: soundcloud.com/colbyjohn

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support us on Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café: http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

T-Shirts & Hats: https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

Edge against Randy Orton. :yawning_face: Only WWE could book such an uninspiring match following such a significant return.

1 Like

So in The Who far you can get in 10 weeks I thought of this he would just barely not make it to Tampa in 10 weeks

Run from Alaska to Florida

As for the drive length if you drove 60 mph for the whole time uninterrupted you would drive 100,800 miles. Or approximately around the earth 4 times.

1 Like

It could be a case that for his 1st match back after a long serious injury layoff, they probably want somebody who Edge is familiar with

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like this company can win. They want to put him against someone he knows and is probably comfortable with and give him his first win, people complain.

If they put him against a new, younger talent and he went over, people would most likely complain about that too.

2 Likes

Yup I’d rather see edge against an established guy so he can get a win rather than a current top guy where it would make sense for Edge to put that guy over. It also doesn’t interrupt any current storylines. The only other match I could see is maybe face vs face with Daniel Bryan. A neck injury survivors match. I mean otherwise where do you go with a match? Baron Corbin?

1 Like

And right there is the problem with bringing him back and modern booking. Either you bring him back to get younger guys over or you bring him back as a top tier talent and he gets wins over younger guys. Instead they won’t commit to either and bring him back to rehash old matches which will no doubt end up in 50/50 booking.

I’m 100% sure I am not the only one who has zero interest in that.

I don’t see 50-50 booking I see him going over Orton and that’s it. I’d rather see that then the typical WWE thing of presenting your past stars as better than your current stars.

If this is a “one more match” type deal, maybe it’s what Edge wanted?

Edge returning brings back lapsed fans who know Randy Orton and stay engaged. It’s logical. Not inspired booking or creative but if he’s back for a while we have plenty of time to get to things with other guys. In the run-up to Mania, I fully understand why they want to have familiarity when people may be tuning in to see Edge for the first time in 9 years.

Separate topic: Did anyone else feel Becky’s promo made NO sense last night. I’m sorry, maybe I have memory problems (likely), but who has Becky beat? If memory serves correct, she feuded with Lacey (and then mixed tag), did the bit with Sasha when she came back, and then feuded with Asuka after a mixed tag. In the middle she had a Survivor Series program with two champions from other brands and she didn’t even win that match. That is 5 Women, 2 of which she did not get a win over. Who am I missing?

They want to portray Becky as this unstoppable force, The Man, who ran through a division. Meanwhile they run feuds that take too long to develop, span months, and limit potential challengers for her to beat. Imagine if she was on an Okada-like run where she defended 12+ times against 6/7 different opponents. Then her promo makes sense. This is just forced narrative I can’t get behind.

I don’t think anyone objects to him getting a win over AJ in a dream match. I hope he does have feuds with KO, Black, and Seth by the end of the year

I mean the problem is with the Brand split who else is there?

I mean she has beaten i(n one match or another not all for the title)
-Charlotte
-Ronda

• Asuka
  • Kairi
  • Sasha
  • Lacey
  • Natalya
  • Ruby Riot
  • Bayley
  • Alicia Fox

Without calling people up from NXT, or moving someone over from Smackdown (Bayley post heel turn, Alexa)

On RAW the remaining women are

• Lana
  • Liv Morgan
  • Billie Kay
  • Maria Kanellis
  • Naomi (apparently from the website)
  • Nia Jax
  • Peyton Royce
  • Ruby Riot
  • Sara Logan
  • Zelina Vega

So from that list the only ones that stand out to me as title challengers are Nia Jax (but she is still out), Ruby Riot (same), and maybe Naomi if they build her up but she had been defined down for a while before her time off.

SO unless she is going to straight call out Shayna wanting “revenge” for her loss at survivor series, but she left standing in that one. Or someone else I don’t see where her challengers are. I guess she could Call out the rest of the jobber women and beat them in 2 minutes. It is a problem with the depth of the division, the women’s divisions on both brands have a depth of about 3-4 title contenders. (Becky, Charlotte, Asuka on Raw and Sasha, Bayley, Alexa, Lacey on Smackdown). Everyone else feels like they are just a program to kill time where you cannot buy them winning the title.

SO I think the best thing they could do is call up Shayna and have her take Becky out. Get Ronda Back. Or call but a few NXT people soon like Bianca and have her go on a tear. Short of that it is let her sit on her laurels as the super champ and let the rest of the division develop until there is someone people want to see face her.

1 Like

Did she beat Riott and Bayley after Mania? I legit don’t remember…like I said, wouldn’t surprise me to learn I forgot some. In that case, my criticism is less valid and you are absolutely correct.

I suppose I just haven’t liked her portrayal of this character when it takes 6-8 weeks to have these feuds. It doesn’t feel very dominant or convincing. It is all very contrived. But that is totally my own opinion on that and open for others to feel more strongly about it working.

Yeah April after Mania, but the largest issue is simply that the division has no depth at all.

I don’t really view her as dominant either. OR at least I don’t like when she is portrayed that way. What got her over was the underdog overcoming the odds and fighting against the “machine”. I think having her with this super long run has not been a good idea for her character. She is a much more intriguing character when she is chasing then when she is defending. It is one of the reasons the Asuka stuff worked so well, the idea of her rising to a challenge is something she does well. Playing the unbeatable champ isn’t really her strong suit.

I thought she should have dropped the title to Sasha when she returned. It would have made for a better story for both of them. Instead at this point both seem lost with no real programs of interest (short of roster changes).

1 Like

You’re giving wrestling fans,that don’t post on this forum, way too much credit. Edge over AJ would be shit on by so many people, because that’s what people love to do.

The Orton/Edge angle was great. Liv’s new ring gear is also great.

Meltzer confirms Samoa Joe suffered a concussion last night. Watching the match, you can clearly see him come up short on that dive and land on his head.

Damn didn’t know I was going to get roasted like that for being in the zero club. Better luck next year! As John said it can only go up. Tbf though I had Roman and Shayna so it seems like a week ago I would have been on the money lol.

Congratulations to the top 3, and all the people who got the crazy shit like Bianca Belair right. Y’all are awesome.

BTW thanks John for confirming the Sasha injury in the news update today.

He’s back for three years

Wai is all over that ring. Congrats man.

2 Likes