Rewind-A-Raw 5/11/20: Becky Lynch Pregnant, Brand Invitations, The Last Ride

I see what you are saying. I think my idea would work very well if Black stayed hot and still seemed right come April 2021, but I see how it could completely blow up in their faces if things changed which in wrestling they always seem to do.

1 Like

I think the issue with a May to March/April story with a guaranteed title shot is how do you keep the story interesting when the challenger likely will either be ice cold or deserve a title shot long before Mania. It also doesn’t really make sense from the challenger standpoint why wait until mania to challenge for the title? If you challenge and win and are champion at mania you wrestle at mania.

I think the only way the concept would work was if the briefcase guaranteed the mania title shot but needed to be defended weekly from MITB until Mania. Which could work but would make the ladder match itself far less important.

I do think they should change up the cash in rules though as right now it seems like you are an idiot if you don’t win the title. Maybe let the challenger pick the date and stipulations of the title match.

1 Like

If done correctly, I think it would be a very good story. I admit however, it would probably be very challenging to do so and the more I think about it, 10 months is too long. I think it would work though if MITB was in the fall. The idea is that you have a challenger, and you just build and build and build the match up, similar to a big UFC fight. Then come Mania you have one challenger who won the MITB, another who won the Rumble, if done properly Mania would feel as if it had 2 legitimate main events on the men’s side.

The problem is how often the titles are defended. It is hard to build, and build and build when you are having other matches that need builds, titles changing hands etc. Either you end up with a situation with no build between the performers, or you wind up knowing the title is staying on the same guy for months and all the defenses until mania become meaningless.

1 Like

Its all about execution. When done right it will work, when done wrong its an issue.

I’m assuming they didn’t know about the pregnancy until after the MITB was filmed but surely they could’ve come up with something other than “I vacated the title in secret and you won it without knowing”. The whole thing is stupid.

please ignore this post

I guess it was that or a tournament, My guess is that they didn’t want 3 title tournaments going on at the same time. Considering the circumstances, I thought they handled it pretty well.