Rewind-A-Raw 8/10/20: Kamala Passes Away, Flair Punted, G1 Schedule

Joe Biden paid homage to him by naming Kamala Harris vice president.

1 Like

With the exception of the top men’s singles titles, it seems like the role of most WWE title holders is to be a “good win” for somebody else in a non-title match. I guess this is fine for the IC and US Titles (though not my preference), because you can use the IC Champ to “make” a guy rising to the main event level. But Bayley is already a “world champion”. There is no higher level.

So…the alternative to building Bayley as a legitimate competitor is to just have her keep losing to be a “good win” to new stars?

That’s not how that works. Yes, the champion by nature will put someone over eventually, if done right. But, who wins if they beat Bayley? She loses every other week, so the title victory will be meaningless.

Sure, if Nikki Cross were to win it’d be a fun moment that night. But then it’s over. She’s not slotted much higher than she was. She beat someone who’s not a huge obstacle. So it inherently doesn’t raise her status much. I’m not advocating every champion be unbeatable, but for your reasoning alone, they need to be treated better then they are now.

That’s why Brock is their only draw. When he loses it matters and has purpose. Helped elevate Drew. I don’t even remember who any other champions in this company beat to win their titles

Apparently. WWE thinks their female stars are Charlotte, Becky, Ronda Rousey and Nia Jax. Everybody else is just a midcarder - champion or not.

(Hey, I never said it was a good strategy. :man_shrugging: )

1 Like

Good question. The best one I can think of is probably the Owens/Jericho story.

Now the story had a very anticlimactic end as Goldberg bearing Owens screwed things up, but that was a long term story.

Also, Cena/Rock was. Granted nobody wanted to see the second match, but the story did go over 2 years.

That’s all I got lol.

Goldberg/Brock was long term too.

1 Like

What’s considered long-term for you guys? Would the Mandy/Otis thing not qualify? That’s been going on since like October or November and is still churning out entertaining stuff. It’s been arguably the best thing on Smackdown since the move to Fox.

Yeah, I think we’re on the same page. If you’re not one of those you mentioned, you’re in karaoke contests.

1 Like

Its probably a situation where everyone has a different definition, but I think that one should apply.