REWIND-A-SMACKDOWN 3/20/18: Daniel Bryan cleared; attacked by Owens/Zayn

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/03/21/rewind-a-smackdown-3-20-18-daniel-bryan-cleared-attacked-by-owens-zayn/

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE SMACKDOWN 3/20/18:

Daniel Bryan announces his return to in-ring competition and gets physical in a WWE ring for the first time in nearly 3 years; Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens are punished for their attack on Shane McMahon; Charlotte vs. Natalya is interrupted by a MITB cash-in.

Team Little Big (Alexa Bliss & Braun Strowman) takes on Miz & Asuka in the Mixed Match Challenge, the 2nd Chance Vote winners are announced, and 205 Live sees Mustapha Ali vs. Drew Gulak to determine who will face Cedric Alexander at WrestleMania.

Charlie Ebersol announces the launch of a football league to rival Vince McMahon’s XFL. Plus, Café feedback to the show from the POST Wrestling Forum.

Rewind-A-SmackDown Theme by THE IDENTiTY CRiSiS
theidentitycrisis.com / youtube.com/theidc

Subscribe to POST Wrestling
iTunes & iOS | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss this show at the POST Wrestling Forum
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support our Patreon - The POST Wrestling Café
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Follow us
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

That smackdown will be remembered forever. I mean, what a match between Baron Corbin and Tye Dillinger !

As someone who didn’t watch wrestling during the entire Daniel Bryan run I have to say this show wasn’t a big deal for me like it was for others.

I found his opening promo to be fantastic and its clear WWE just let him talk which is rare but clearly necessary in this case. I also found the closing segment to be fantastic due to the crowds massive heel and face pops throughout.

DB is clearly a big deal so I’m curious how long it’ll take for him to truly win me over like he has so many others. Great start though.

Aside from his segments this show was terrible. It felt like your typical Smackdown treading water and waiting for something to happen but its only a couple of weeks until WM!

Its amazing how little I care about Nakamura and AJ…its as though they are trying to actively ruin the hype of this dream match by making the build as dull as possible. If Nakamura wins I dread what his championship feud builds are going to be like. AJ is somewhat limited on the mic but Nakamura displays no real passion…reminds me a bit of RVD.

Take out the DB segments as this was a 2/10 instant skip episode of Smackdown.
With DB it was clearly historic and must see even as someone who didn’t see his initial run.

I was only really watching wrestling casually during Bryan’s first big push, I saw him come in with Nexus and didn’t think much of him. I became a fan, he just felt like a babyface I’d remember from watching wrestling in the 80’s and early 90’s

I do understand your point about the AJ vs Nakamura angle, they are keeping them apart they aren’t building anything. There is so much they could do to build it up, but with such a full card they are focusing on a few and the others risk losing steam.

It has been a long time since an episode of WWE was such an emotional roller coaster. The last time was probably Bryan’s retirement speech.

His return speech was pitch perfect. 100% him, 100% honest, 100% emotional. And it put such a huge smile on my face (while also cringing with every hit) to see him back in action again. My anticipation for Wrestlemania just went WAY up and the expected tag match with him and Shane vs Zayn and Owens is now the match i’m looking forward to the most.