REWIND-A-WAI #31: WWF Raw / WCW Nitro (July 13, 1998)

Originally published at REWIND-A-WAI #31: WWF Raw / WCW Nitro (July 13, 1998) - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – visit Patreon.com/POSTwrestling to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting look back at WWF Raw Is War and WCW Monday Nitro from July 13, 1998 in this special double review.

As the two companies traded leads in the Monday Night Wars, Raw continued the mystery of whether The Undertaker was in CAHOOTS with Kane ahead of a scheduled tag team match with Steve Austin at Fully Loaded, while The Nation continued their heated rivalry with D-Generation X following an infamous parody segment involving Jason Sensation.

Nitro brought us the fallout from Goldberg’s first WCW title win the week prior, while Hollywood Hogan looked to blame fellow nWo member Scott Hall for the defeat.

This edition of the Rewind-A-Wai is presented by Espresso Executive Producer, Daniel Holmes.

Watch WWF Raw #268 on the WWE Network here.
Watch WCW Nitro #148 on the WWE Network here.

WWF RAW is WAR #268
Monday July 13, 1998
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Continental Airlines Arena

*The Undertaker vs. Vader
*Brawl 4 All Match: Bart Gunn vs. Bob Holly
*Triple H & X-Pac (w/ Chyna) vs. Owen Hart & The Rock
*Marc Mero (w/ Jacqueline) vs. Steve Blackman
*WWF World Tag Team Titles: The New Age Outlaws (c) vs. Kane & Mankind (w/ Paul Bearer)
*Kai En Tai (Dick Togo, Mens Teioh & Sho Funaki) (w/ Yamaguchi-san) vs. Taka Michinoku & Too Much
*Brawl 4 All Match: Dan Severn vs. The Godfather
*WWF World Tag Team Titles: Kane & Mankind (c) vs. The New Age Outlaws

WCW Monday Nitro #148
Monday July 13, 1998
Las Vegas, Nevada
MGM Grand Arena

*Horace vs. The Barbarian (w/ Jimmy Hart)
*Jim Duggan vs. Rick Fuller
*Bret Hart vs. Fit Finlay
*Rick Martel vs. Stevie Ray
*Barry Darsow vs. Konnan (w/ Sting)
*Diamond Dallas Page vs. The Disciple
*Kanyon vs. Raven vs. Saturn
*Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.
*Alex Wright & Disco Inferno vs. Kevin Nash & Lex Luger (w/ Konnan & Sting)
*Eddie Guerrero vs. Steve McMichael
*Hollywood Hogan (w/ The Disciple) vs. Scott Hall
*WCW World Heavyweight Title: Goldberg (c) vs. Curt Hennig

Subscribe:
iTunes & iOS | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss:
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support – The POST Wrestling Café:
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Merchandise:
https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow:
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

Is it just me or does Daniel sound like Lance Storm? Maybe it’s just the western Canadian accent.

Loved the line “Stupid in 1998 and it’s still stupid in 2019” John. That could be a t-shirt.

1 Like

This was very enjoyable. Loved the chat about where both companies were at this moment in time. A weird choice for a review but incredibly fun show. Thanks Daniel!

1 Like

Great to revisit a bunch of memories that I didn’t know I had until John and Wai brought them back.

The big one for 13-year-old me was wondering why everybody in WWF seemed to be saying the word “cahoots” when nobody else in the world has used it since the 1930s? Little did I know that overly-scripted “Universe-speak” like that was going to become a huge part of my life going forward.

2 Likes

“This is for man of the century, number five was RAVEN!!”

“Raven was one spot below Jesus Christ”

I popped big time on this one that I nearly fell to the floor it was so funny.

1 Like