REWIND-A-WAI #33: “The Simpsons” Wrestling Episodes (S8E21 / S24E14)

Originally published at REWIND-A-WAI #33: “The Simpsons” Wrestling Episodes (S8E21 / S24E14) - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – visit Patreon.com/POSTwrestling to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting review two wrestling-themed episodes of the world’s most famous animated sitcom, The Simpsons.

We discuss our viewing history of The Simpsons, compare the quality of the series 16 years apart, and discuss how each episode represented professional wrestling’s mainstream status at the time.

• The Simpsons “The Old Man and the Lisa” (S8E21) | Original Airdate: 20-Apr-1997

Penniless from a series of bad investments and counsel from yes men, Burns asks help from Lisa, who turns him into a profitable recycler. Then Burns takes things a nasty step further to increase his dividends. Pro wrestler Bret “The Hit Man” Hart has a voice cameo. (TV Guide)

• The Simpsons “Gorgeous Grampa” (S24E14) | Original Airdate: 3-Mar-2013

Homer buys a storage locker, only to discover that it’s Grampa’s, from the days when he was wrestler Glamorous Godfrey, the most hated wrestler in the business, but Mr. Burns’s favorite; Burns talks him into wrestling again, but how long can Grampa put up with it when he sees that Bart is starting to act like Godfrey in real life? (SimpsonsArchive.com)

If you live in the US and have access to FX, you can watch the shows on Simpsons World. If you live outside of the US or if you don’t have access to Simpsons World, check out this website.

This edition of the Rewind-A-Wai is presented by Espresso Executive Producer, Jay from OSW Review.

Subscribe:
iTunes & iOS | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss:
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support – The POST Wrestling Café:
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Merchandise:
https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow:
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

Reviews like these are really fun guys. Maybe more like this if you have the time.

I use to be a huge Simpsons fan but shortly after this season the quality took a nose dive and I just stopped watching. This video sums it up pretty good like Jay mentioned.

When The Simpsons went into syndication I was in heaven as a teen. Come home from school and watch The Simpsons at 5:30 on CBC Toronto, then at 6 on CFMT (these who live in southern Ontario will remember). Then the Fox affiliate in Buffalo (Fox 29) would have it on around 7. Pleasure overload.

1 Like

John not cottoning onto why his parents probably wanted him in the scouts and camping trips away is absolutely adorable.

Great show, lads :slight_smile:

Just listened all the way to the end maybe going into Mania this should have been an old Mania review but I don’t mind hard to find shows because like with the Double Shot I enjoy your reviews. As Jay said during this episode Total Bellas is a trashy housewife style show but Wai reviews it with more respect than even the Bellas would expect. The more memorable Review A Wai’s are shows I’ve never seen, Tag Team With Roddy Piper and Jesse Ventura, previous BOLAs and ROH shows McMemphis (one of my all time favorites). So I don’t mind it