REWIND-A-WAI #40: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/07/11/rewind-a-wai-40-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-11/

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – click here to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting review NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 featuring Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega in their legendary 6-star match from the Tokyo Dome on January 4th, 2017.

Also on this show, Hiroshi Tanahashi looked to rescue the IC title from LIJ’s Tetsuya Naito, Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto in a brutal battle for the NEVER Openweight title, and KUSHIDA took on “Ticking Time Bomb” Hiromu Takahashi.

This edition of the Rewind-A-Wai is presented by Espresso Executive Producer, Scott Douglas.

Watch this show on NJPW World (account required) by clicking here.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
January 4, 2017
Tokyo Dome
Tokyo, Japan

*IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (w/ Gedo) (c) vs. Kenny Omega
*IWGP Intercontinental Title: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
*NEVER Openweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Hirooki Goto
*IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
*IWGP Tag Team Titles: Guerrillas Of Destiny (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Great Bash Heel
*ROH World Title: Kyle O’Reilly (c) vs. Adam Cole
*Cody vs. Juice Robinson
*NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Title Gauntlet Match: David Finlay, Ricochet & Satoshi Kojima (c) vs. Bad Luck Fale, Hangman Page & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Jado, Will Ospreay & YOSHI-HASHI vs. BUSHI, EVIL & SANADA
*IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Titles: Young Bucks (c) vs. Roppongi Vice
*Tiger Mask W vs. Tiger The Dark
*New Japan Rumble

Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support us on Patreon – The POST Wrestling Café: http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Merchandise: https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

1 Like

I moved to Osaka Japan in 2015 just as my interest in NJPW was blossoming thanks to Johns G1 coverage. I got to attend many NJPW including this one and it was honestly one of the greatest live events I’ve ever been to.

Funnily enough I was working at Universal Studios in Osaka where I was playing the Terminator and via a friend of a friend I got the chance to have dinner with Kenny and the Bucks a couple of months before this show. I was chatting with Kenny all about Universal studios, the Resident Evil escape room and the Terminator show I performed in. It was then that I suggested “Hey you should do an entire Terminator themed entrance for Wrestle Kingdom.” Look I’m not saying I’m responsible for that entrance and ultimately Omegas success and AEW itself but like with AJ Styles says about the flat earth theory “I’m not saying it’s true, I’m just saying there’s something there.” :slight_smile:

I have a piece of media I’d love to get your opinions on and maybe even hear a Review-a-wai episode on. (Do I have to be a higher tier patreon supporter to officially suggest things?)

Anyway I’m wondering if you guys are familiar with or have seen ‘The Hoots’ Chapters 1 and 2. Made by Gallows and Anderson during their Bullet club run in 2015.

Before ‘Being the Elite’ there was ‘Talkin’ Shop’ before Arthur and Trevor there was Sex Fergusson and before Fat-Ass Massa was paying the bill at ‘Hard Cock Cafe’ he was being asked to appear on ‘Cock torturers’ with Luke Gallows.

I really feel The Hoots movies provided the blue print for what Being the Elite and ultimately AEW became. I would love to hear your opinions on the guys who I feel don’t get the credit for initially doing what the Jacksons ultimately perfected.

Both mini movies are available on dailymotion and I think you can see the DNA of the ‘The Hoots’ is clearly present in todays ‘Being the elite’.

Love the show and look forward to your opinions.

David