REWIND-A-WAI #81: WWF WrestleMania VI (w/ Dan Lovranski)

Originally published at REWIND-A-WAI #81: WWF WrestleMania VI (w/ Dan Lovranski) - POST Wrestling | WWE NXT AEW NJPW UFC Podcasts, News, Reviews

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – click here to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWF WrestleMania VI (1990) featuring “The Ultimate Challenge” between Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior for the WWF and Intercontinental Championships.

Later in the show, we’re joined by Dan “The Mouth” Lovranski (Sunday Night’s Main Event) to discuss attending the event live in Toronto, the buzz within the city for WrestleMania’s arrival, and the reactions of crying children following the main event’s result.

We also discuss the rest of the 14-match (!) card featuring Jake Roberts vs. Ted DiBiase, Macho King & Queen Sherri vs. Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire, and the very controversial half-blackface promo/match from Roddy Piper as he took on Bad News Brown.

Plus, your feedback from the POST Wrestling Forum.

This edition of the Rewind-A-Wai is presented by Espresso Executive Producer, Cesar Silveira.

Watch the full show on WWE Network (Account Required): https://watch.wwe.com/episode/WrestleMania-6-5466

WWF WrestleMania VI
Sunday, April 1, 1990
Toronto, Ontario at SkyDome

• WWF & Intercontinental Championships: Hulk Hogan © vs. Ultimate Warrior
  • Jimmy Snuka vs. Ravishing Rick Rude
  • Big Bossman vs. Akeem
  • Million Dollar Championship: Ted DiBiase © vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts
  • Dino Bravo vs. “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan
  • The Rockers vs. The Orient Express
  • Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire vs. “Macho King” Randy Savage & “Sensational Queen” Sherri
  • The Barbarian vs. Tito Santana
  • The Hart Foundation vs. The Bolsheviks
  • “Rowdy” Roddy Piper vs. Bad News Brown
  • Mr. Perfect vs. Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake
  • Earthquake vs. Hercules
  • WWF Tag Team Championship: The Colossal Connection © vs. Demolition
  • Rick Martel vs. Koko B. Ware

Photo Courtesy: WWE

Next time on Rewind-A-Wai… EVOLVE 1: Richards vs. Ibushi (2010)

Subscribe: https://postwrestling.com/subscribe

Patreon: http://postwrestlingcafe.com

Forum: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Discord: https://postwrestling.com/discord

Merch: https://store.postwrestling.com

Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/YouTube: @POSTwrestling

1 Like

Great blast from the past! First ever wrestling show I attended live & have a few memories of. My uncle who was very NOT into wrestling took me… I think as a late birthday gift but honestly can’t remember. I don’t think he understood the full idea that this would be a long wrestling show & not just 1 or 2 matches and then Hogan vs Warrior because I remember him getting gradually annoyed as the show kept going and going. But I did also catch him getting really into the main event which shows you how even a non-fan can be sucked in when you are in the middle of all the drama and let your guard down by thinking who can enjoy this silly wrestling crap?

I have very few actual memories of the wrestling obviously. I remember being mad at the Rockers finish because I was a big fan of their high flying. I remember being surprised Big Boss Man & Akeem was so quick since that was actual built feud with two guys who were very important at one time when I was starting to discover what WWF wrestling was. I remember the Hart Foundation thing being funny. And of course I remember the main event drama & being so sad that Hogan lost along with the majority of my section. But there was also lots of Warrior fans so it’s not like there was any audible anger. It was very much the defintion of a 50/50 crowd.

Mostly I remember being in the Skydome the first time. Amazing experience. I remember the walk up the ramp(s) to our cheap seats and wondering why is this taking so long. We couldn’t see shit from where we were aside from watching on the big screens but it was still cool to be in such a big building for the big event. I got a foam title belt & a program. May even still have them somewhere.

Great find by John re: Norm DaCosta. I remembered reading some of his writings in The Star but they seemed to appear randomly instead of at set times? Maybe I’m misremembering. But I definitely remember his article the day after Summerslam '91 where I found out Bret won the title. All my memoies of his articles were very basic factual reporting of stuff without inside terms so it blew my mind to hear he was using terms like babyface & angle. Maybe I read it when I was younger & just never processed it. Also great to hear the 416-350-3000 shoutout! Called that thing daily for wrestling scoops & eventually the Yellow Pages number as well. Norm eventually stopped updating which bummed 12/13 year old me out. But if you remember there were tons of extensions for different subjects & Norm also did soccer updates and later he also read out results from Woodbine Track. Me being the intelligent kid I was decided I didn’t need to wait for Norm to return to doing wrestling updates - I could just call and ask him myself. So I somehow found the number for The Star offices & found my way through connections to the sports department which connected me to him. I simply asked when are you going to return with the wrestling updates & got a very sharp “I am done covering professional wrestling. Please don’t call me about that any longer.” It made me very sad in the pre-internet days where stuff like that was your only hook-up for timely wrestling news as the print magazines were still 2-3 months behind. Ocasionally I’d still listen through Norm’s soccer updates on the off chance he’d drop some wrestling info at the end. He never did. I always wondered if he fell out of enjoying wrestling (the time period fits with when many non-hardcore fans did) or he was just covering it as his job & when they stopped paying him to do it he had zero interest in discussing it.

I also had a similar holy grail moment like John’s video store story except mine was a local Korean owned video store. I had been getting all my tapes via Jumbo Video but burned through the WWF stuff rather quickly. My mom was working a double shift at two different post offices when one day she found out she had a new boss who also owned a video store. Naturally when she introduced me to him I revealed I was a wrestling fan & next thing you know he would send her home with a bag full of random video tapes once a week which is how I discovered non-WWF existed & also got to see many WWF events Jumbo Video never had. The most exlusive being tape #2 of Wrestlemania IV which for some reason was never available in Jumbo Video.

Appreciated the review from people who understood the local tie-ins!

2 Likes