REWIND-A-WAI FEEDBACK: WWF "Royal Rumble Raw" at SkyDome (Feb. 1997)

Rewind-A-Wai returns this Tuesday with a look back at the episode of “Royal Rumble Raw” from the SkyDome in Toronto from February 1997.

This event was chosen by Espresso Executive Producer @Cesar1276.

The full episode can be watched on the WWE Network.

You can post your feedback, questions, and any memories of this show in the thread, which will be read on the show.

Rewind-A-Wai #115 will be released this Tuesday for all POST Wrestling Café members.

WWF Royal Rumble Raw
Monday, February 3, 1997
Toronto, Ontario at SkyDome
*No Holds Barred: Faarooq & Mankind vs. The Undertaker & Ahmed Johnson
*Intercontinental Championship: Hunter Hearst Helmsley (c) vs. Marc Mero
*Crush vs. Savio Vega
*WWF Tag Team Championships: Owen Hart & British Bulldog (c) vs. Phil Lafon & Doug Furnas
*Savio Vega vs. Flash Funk
*Vader vs. Steve Austin

Jesse from the 6

What the heck happened in WCW recently to compel Vince McMahon to state repeatedly that the WWF would not give the fans a “bait and switch”?

The new edict had an unfortunate effect as Shawn Michaels was walking to the ring and JR contrasted him with Hollywood Hogan, stating Shawn was a man of his word and definitely would defend his title aginst Syd next week at Thursday Raw Thursday. Oops.

This show aired ten days before Thursday Raw Thursday which you reviewed earlier this year, and I must saw, Shawn betrayed no signs of having to retire in ten days.

I’ve watched a lot of '97 WWF recently and I think it’s a fascinating year. Here in February, they still have the old theme music, Owen is heeling on the Canadian audience, Paul Bearer is still in the makeup, etc. But in just two months, all these things would change dramatically.

You’ve probably already adressed the nature of this show, but what was going on here? At first I thought this may have just been a repurposed house show, because it was so poorly lit, the camera angles seemed different, and they were missing regular staff like Jerry Lawler and Howard Finkel. But then the commentary seemed to be live, so I don’t know.
Also, do you know why they were saving the title match and big promotion for the Thursday show in Lowell instead of the SkyDome? Not sure how big the Lowell arena is but I’m pretty sure it’s a lot smaller than SkyDome.

Take Care