Rey Mysterio didn't think Dominik would be ready to wrestle at WWE SummerSlam 2020

Originally published at Rey Mysterio didn't think Dominik would be ready to wrestle at SummerSlam 2020

Dominik Mysterio’s growth evaluated by his father.

Former SmackDown Tag Team Champions Rey and Dominik Mysterio just wrapped a tour of the U.K. for WWE. Throughout the loop, they teamed with Finn Balor against Seth Rollins, Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode.

Rey and Dominik sat down with members of the media (SPORTbible) during the U.K. tour and while reflecting on Dominik’s growth as an in-ring performer since his debut last year, Rey admitted that when the idea of Dominik wrestling Seth Rollins at SummerSlam 2020 was brought to him, he did not think it was a good idea because he did not think Dominik was ready.

I gave him the choice to say yes or no. It was brought up to me and I passed on the message to Dominik. I thought they were kidding. When I said, ‘Dom, they want to see if you can step in the ring for SummerSlam,’ I told them I didn’t think you were ready but I said it was your choice. I can tell you as a father, ‘I don’t think you’re ready’ and the last thing I want to do is for him to step in there and have a bad first impression. As a parent it’s like pushing your kid to play baseball and he strikes out every time he goes to the mount on his first game. But he decided to take the opportunity and I’m actually happy for that because he did incredible.

Rey went on to add that the last thing he wants to do right now is wrestle Dominik. He is enjoying teaming with him and feels that them going against each other might work in storyline, but he’d rather keep things the way they are.

In the blink of an eye, he was in the ring and two weeks after he debuted, we’re wrestling together. It kind of didn’t even give us time to live the moments. We talked about it before he stepped into the ring, ‘Imagine if we could wrestle against each other’. It was such a big idea for us in the beginning but after seeing his growth and evolution inside the ring, the last thing I want to do is wrestle my son. I’m enjoying every moment of it right now and if somebody’s going to keep the legacy alive, it will be him. From my end, definitely no possibilities of wrestling him. It might work in a story but I would much rather stay on his side.

On WWE TV, Dominik is on a losing streak. He has lost to Sami Zayn three consecutive times while Rey was ringside for the match.