Ricky Starks on absence from AEW TV: 'I have no answers'

Originally published at Ricky Starks on absence from AEW TV: 'I have no answers'

It’s been quite a while since Ricky Starks has been on AEW programming, causing many to wonder about the former tag team champion’s status. If you ask the man himself, you won’t get a satisfying answer.

In a recent interview with WhatCulture, Starks was asked why he hasn’t been present on AEW programming for weeks. When questioned about whether he will appear at the upcoming Double or Nothing pay-per-view from the promotion, his response was “I don’t know.”

“Every time I always predict something to go some way it doesn’t go that way,” Starks told WhatCulture. “And it kind of just leaves me being like ‘Well, we’ll just figure out and see.’ I really have no clue [why I’m not on TV]. It’s just a very interesting time, I feel like. I wish that I was on Dynasty, I wish I was on these things. I think at a certain point, just for my own sanity, I can’t go too crazy about it because the proof is in my work and my effort that I’ve constantly given. [I have] constantly given 1000 percent effort. It’s not in my control. I think that’s the biggest lesson I can have, is that things are just not in my control. But the things that are, I try my hardest.”

Many assumed that Starks was off TV due to a potential injury from a late March against Top Flight. However, Starks has denied that this was the case. Despite the worrying finish to their match on Collision two months back, Starks said he was never injured and that the incident was just a scare.

Starks held the AEW Tag Team Championships alongside Big Bill earlier this year before dropping the belts to Darby Allin and Sting. It’s unclear if the recent tag champs are still a duo, as Bill has gone on to join Chris Jericho’s “Learning Tree” faction. Starks mentioned in his chat with WhatCulture that he thinks the duo has split.

Starks mentioned outright that he doesn’t know why he’s not on TV currently, and also talked about the outpouring of support that he has received from fans who miss his presence.

“I have no answers. People ask me all the time, ‘Well why aren’t you…’ I don’t know. It does suck, obviously, to not be on TV. But, the support in people online and people sending messages is very, very sweet and endearing.”

Later in the interview, Starks discussed attending Wrestlemania 40 and seeing his friend Cody Rhodes headline the massive event. You can watch the full conversation here.

Sad. He should be on TV weekly. Only a matter of time before he jumps to WWE

1 Like

Gotta be AEW’s biggest blunder, yeah? If they lose him to WWE that would be a big blow. I would love to see him in the new Elite and the way he’s been booked up to now, it would make perfect sense for him to be in that group. If the dude’s good to be on TV he should be on TV, it doesn’t make sense to me.

Does wrestling ability count? If not, then Jade Cargill is the big one to date that they invested time and money and a huge push and never got the return on investment that they were looking for (not counting anybody who choked a co-worker).

But if Starks were to go, he would be the first who had major potential and could wrestle who fits the bill.

I always assume people like this must have a bad attitude and if not then it’s just TK being useless.

Starks is awesome, take Jericho off the telly and just replace with Starks. Simple

1 Like

I would put Starks above her. I think Jade was going to go to WWE no matter what, unless AEW somehow became the number one company and could more easily make her a household name. Jade also at least had a great stretch where she was booked to her strengths and had a hot act, it’s just that they got too gunshy about putting her in higher stakes situations.

Starks, I really can’t think of any particular time where I felt like they got it right with him for a decent amount of time. Maybe the Punk feud was the closest he got? I even liked the Big Bill tag run but it still didn’t feel like the best they could have been doing with him.

1 Like

It’s okay, they’d rather have TV time kept for Jericho and his repetitive crap.

That’s always the caveat. The wrestling business is notoriously petty and clique-y (no pun intended). So Maybe Starks is an asshole – even when he was on TV beating Punk or winning the tag belts – or is perceived to be an asshole by the wrong people. Even all of the shoot interviews in the world rarely lead to the undisputed truth.

There’s still people that defend Hogan or HBK or Punk, what chance do the rest of the boys have?