Ring of Honor and Marty Scurll part ways

Originally published at Ring of Honor and Marty Scurll part ways

During the summer of 2020, Ring of Honor on-screen talent and co-booker Marty Scurll was named during the #SpeakingOut movement that saw a number of individuals be called out for harassment/abuse in wrestling. After the allegations against Scurll were made, Ring of Honor responded by noting that they were launching an investigation into the claims.

ROH followed up on the situation at hand today and announced that they’ve parted ways with Marty Scurll.

pic.twitter.com/0PdT5TcgHR

— ROH Wrestling (@ringofhonor) January 4, 2021

Scurll was accused of sexual assault on June 22nd by a young woman who worked for the IPW:UK promotion at the time of the alleged assault. She was 16-years old at the time and ran into Scurll at a post-show party.

Scurll released a statement on Twitter during the summer of 2020 addressing the allegations and made mention that he believes the encounter was consensual and legal since the age of 16 is considered of age in the United Kingdom.

I am aware that a young woman has bravely come forward with her account of sexual abuse by some members of the wrestling community in the UK 5 years ago, a community I was a part of.

Although I truly believe that our encounter that evening was consensual, and the fact that the encounter was legal; is almost not the point. I understand that she now views our encounter as part of a bigger problem within the wrestling community.

What concerns me at this moment is that from what I have been reading, she is a fan of wrestling and was made to feel unsafe within that community. This is not acceptable. I also understand that people have been attacking her on social media, and I implore you to please stop. She has a right to her voice and it is our responsibility to listen.

Scurll last wrestled for Ring of Honor at the Gateway to Honor event in February. There has been no mention of him on Ring of Honor programming since the company began producing shows again.

Hard to give ROH credit in this matter, when I’m pretty sure they just waited out his contact and didn’t renew it… Rather than actually do something at the time of the allegations.

How’s that “investigation” going?

1 Like

ROH would have come off a lot better if they’d acted quickly and decisively. His responses to the allegations were ignorant. Their response was feeble. At this point, they both seem like arseholes.

1 Like

Really hope he goes to AEW or NJPW, shows I actually watch lol But I could also see him going to Impact.

The guys a creep, to use the age of consent being 16 in the UK as justification for, as a 27 year old, sleeping with a 16 year old girl is rotten. Just because it’s legal doesn’t make it right.

3 Likes