Ring Of Honor Announces Tournament To Crown New Women Of Honor World Champion

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/02/12/ring-of-honor-announces-tournament-to-crown-new-women-of-honor-world-champion/

A new Women Of Honor World Champion will be crowned within the coming months as the company announced a tournament to crown a new WOH Champion. The tournament is being dubbed “Quest For Gold” and it kicks off just a few weeks after Supercard Of Honor at ROH’s 2300 Arena show on April 24th. It is noted in the article on ROHWrestling.com that talents from all over the world will be included in the tournament. Tickets for the event go on-sale February 24th.

Angelina Love revealed during a recent interview with PWInsider that ROH is hosting a Women Of Honor tryout camp and seminar in March and she along with Sumie Sakai, Ian Riccaboni, Jonathan Gresham, Delirious and Todd Sinclair will be in attendance to scout talent.

“I know Marty Scurll had stepped up to help out creatively. Jonathan would be awesome. He helps train at the Ring of Honor dojo. We’re doing a Women of Honor tryout seminar and camp March 27-28. He’s going to be there. I’m going to be there along with Sumie Sakai and Delirious and Todd Sinclair and Ian Riccaboni. There will be a bunch of us looking at potential future Women of Honor talent. I think it’s going to be good to have a perspective from the boys to help everybody on the roster.”

The last Women Of Honor World Champion was Kelly Klein and her contract with the company expired on New Year’s Eve. Klein suffered a concussion during an overseas tour in October and she publicly spoke out about Ring of Honor not having the proper protocol in place in that moment to take care of her.

Kelly Klein told Sports Illustrated that she did meet with ROH C.O.O. Joe Koff this past November and suggested the following to him:

“I suggested that we could develop independent contractor standards, similar to an employee handbook, but it would apply to independent contractors, and Joe Koff told me that my contract was my handbook,” said Klein. “I said that the contract did not have any information on how we handle these situations or who I talk to. Joe said, ‘If I was there, I’d always tell you to seek medical help.’ But Joe wasn’t there. Our general manager did not see me. No one from management told me to go to the hospital.”

To read more about this situation, head over to this link.

The Women Of Honor World Championship was vacated on January 1st of 2020 and the next champion will be crowned via the ‘Quest For Gold’.

Seems they’re starting from scratch, doing away with the Women of Honor name for the title and dubbing this new title the ROH Women’s World Championship. Two weeks after they revive the ROH Pure Championship as well.

The business surrounding Kelly Klein still feels pretty raw too. Hope they can rebound. I’m interested in seeing who they bring in for it, since it’s starting at a show in Philadelphia that I could attend.