Roderick Strong captures Cruiserweight Title, will defend on 9/28 WWE NXT 2.0

Originally published at Roderick Strong captures Cruiserweight Title, will defend on 9/28 NXT 2.0

NXT 2.0 has a new Cruiserweight Champion.

Diamond Mine’s Roderick Strong challenged KUSHIDA for the Cruiserweight Championship on the 9/21 NXT 2.0. The conclusion of the match saw Strong’s fellow Diamond Mine members get involved to distract the referee to give Strong the advantage.

The Creed Brothers (Julius & Brutus Creed) along with Ivey Nile ambushed KUSHIDA on the outside. Nile gave KUSHIDA a ‘superman punch’ while the referee had his back turned and Strong capitalized, hit the ‘End of Heartache’ and won the Cruiserweight Title.

You gotta respect it. #CruiserweightTitle @roderickstrong @Malcolmvelli @DiamondMineWWE #WWENXT #AndNew pic.twitter.com/3tdm61OTns

— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) September 22, 2021

Following his title win, Diamond Mine was confronted by Grayson Waller, who has been a regular on the 205 Live brand. He issued a challenge to Strong and the challenge was accepted.

Strong will defend his Cruiserweight Title against Waller on 9/28.

I was appreciating Diamond Mine being the one faction that wasn’t interfering in matches, but so much for that.