ROH Death Before Dishonor Report - Jay Lethal vs. Will Ospreay, Bullet Club vs. CHAOS

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/09/28/roh-death-before-dishonor-report-jay-lethal-vs-will-ospreay-bullet-club-vs-chaos/

Welcome to the POST Wrestling’s coverage of Ring of Honor’s Death Before Dishonor event from the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

You can post feedback to the show below in the comments section of the POST Wrestling Forum.

In the dark matches, Shane Taylor beat Cheeseburger and Jonathan Gresham beat Beer City Bruiser.

Ian Riccaboni and Caprice Coleman are calling the show with Colt Cabana working on the show.

JUSHIN THUNDER LIGER VS KENNY KING

Liger sent King to the floor and landed a cannonball off the apron.

King got the heat for the next several minutes until Liger fought back and hit a shotei.

Liger was beaten down and King showed remorse, they teased that King was going to help him and then attacked Liger with a spinebuster and pinned Liger.

WINNER: KENNY KING AT 12:11

The match was very average and didn’t elicit a great reaction from the crowd even with Liger.

Riccaboni was so disappointed in King but believes there is still a light inside him and he hasn’t completely abandoned his morals.

The story is that Austin Aries opened the eyes of King that he was too nice and now he has seen the light.

THE BRISCOE BROTHERS VS CHRISTOPHER DANIELS & FRANKIE KAZARIAN FOR THE ROH TAG TITLES

SCU came out and cut a promo before the match.

They went to the floor and started using chairs. Kazarian tossed a chair that flew across the floor.

They got the advantage on Daniels, he tried to fight out of their corner with chops but was cut off by Jay. Daniels rolled to his corner and made the tag to Kazarian.

Kazarian hit a slingshot huracanrana to the floor. Daniels went for a somersault dive to the floor and nearly landed in a bad position on his head.

Kazarian was cut on the top of his head and then dropped back first onto a chair on the floor.

Daniels hit the BME and Mark made the save, they chanted “that was three” at referee Paul Turner.

Jay landed the Jay Driller and finally pinned Daniels.

WINNER: THE BRISCOE BROTHERS AT 17:42 TO RETAIN THE TAG TITLES

Kazarian was gone for the final minutes of the match and it was all Daniels. Kazarian was shown on the floor and was cut open with a towel.

It took a while for the audience to get into the match, but it eventually got going. Daniels looked very good down the stretch as he tried to rally in the 2-on-1 situation.

SUMIE SAKAI VS TENILLE DASHWOOD FOR THE WOMEN OF HONOR TITLE

Dashwood’s right shoulder was taped.

Sakai attempted an armbar and Dashwood made it to the rope. Dashwood sold her shoulder and was primarily using the left side.

Sakai hit her with a swinging neck breaker as she made a comeback. Sakai hit Smashmouth but didn’t get all of it as Dashwood kicked out. Sakai went right to the armbar on the injured arm, Dashwood rolled to the rope and got the break.

Dashwood applied the tarantula in the ropes. Dashwood followed with a powerbomb off the apron to the floor.

Dashwood caught her with a powerbomb, but Sakai locked on the armbar after taking the powerbomb. Dashwood passed out and Todd Sinclair called for the bell. The audience wasn’t into the finish.

WINNER: SUMIE SAKAI AT 12:34 TO RETAIN THE WOMEN OF HONOR TITLE

They worked the match around the injured arm of Dashwood and played into the finish. The match was well worked but was another match hurt by the audience and they didn’t seem to buy into the referee’s stoppage at the end when Dashwood passed out.

PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ VS CHRIS SABIN FOR THE ROH TELEVISION TITLE

Chris Sabin was given this ridiculous introduction by Bobby Cruise and playing a character similar to Matt Sydal and talking about multiple eyes and is the “warrior poet”.

Martinez immediately went for a chokeslam and it was countered with a rollup for a near fall.

Martinez blocked a suicide dive by Sabin and choke slammed him onto the edge of the apron from the floor.

Sabin came back and landed a suicide dive successfully and follow up dive to the floor.

Martinez kicked Sabin into Paul Turner and Turner went down. Martinez grabbed a chair, Sabin stopped him and landed a tornado DDT onto the chair for a near fall.

Martinez landed the Psycho Driver followed the Silence (stomp) and side slam to pin Sabin.

WINNER: PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ AT 8:00 TO RETAIN THE ROH TELEVISION TITLE

Martinez went for a curb stomp into a chair after the match but was stopped by Jeff Cobb who came down to confront Martinez.

They had a face off in the ring, Martinez went to leave and attacked Cobb with a chair from behind, which he no sold.

Conn spun him around with a slam as the audience chanted “Cobb” and was the hottest the audience has been all show. Cobb held up the title over top of the fallen Martinez.

BULLY RAY & SILAS YOUNG VS COLT CABANA & FLIP GORDON IN A TABLES MATCH

The four fought on the floor at the start. The audience was suddenly awake after the Jeff Cobb appearance in the last match.

Gordon and Cabana set up a table inside the ring. They attempted to suplex Young through the table and Bully moved it. Gordon delivered the “yes” kicks to Bully Ray, which were topical this week.

Bully Ray attacked Cabana with a chair on the floor while yelling at Ian and calling him a “piece of trash”. Ian ran down to check on Cabana at ringside. Bully was taken down by a dive from Gordon and Ian handed the chair to Cabana to attack Bully with.

Bully knocked down Riccaboni and Bully powerbombed Cabana through a table on the floor to eliminate him from the match. Poor Caprice Coleman has been left to call this alone. Ian returned to the commentary position.

Bully and Young took turns chopping Gordon 2-on-1. Then, Gordon ducked and Young clotheslined Bully. Bully saved Young from going through a table in the corner, they argued and started fighting.

Gordon flipped off the table, side-stepped and Bully ran through the table in the corner and was eliminated.

Gordon was clotheslined off the apron and Coleman demanded a GIF of this spot.

Todd Sinclair was knocked down, so he missed Gordon’s 450 splash putting Young through a table. Bully placed Gordon over the broken table so when Sinclair got up he called for the bell.

WINNERS: BULLY RAY & SILAS YOUNG AT 13:31

The positive was the crowd was awoken and got into the match a lot.

The story was designed to continue the feud and lead to a blow off match between Bully Ray and Flip Gordon. I don’t know why they had a referee bump that meant nothing in the Television title match when they were doing an important one in this match to lead to the finish.

The match worked and it did what it set out to achieve.

Tenille Dashwood was shown in the back and had been attacked and was grabbing her injured shoulder.

CODY, THE YOUNG BUCKS, MARTY SCURLL & HANGMAN PAGE VS KAZUCHIKA OKADA, TOMOHIRO ISHII, CHUCKIE T., BERETTA & ROCKY ROMERO

Nick Aldis joined commentary for this match.

Beretta landed a tope con giro to Cody and immediately was hit with a shooting star off the apron by Page. Chuckie hit a somersault off the stage to everyone in the aisle. Everyone was standing ringside as Ishii leaped off the top with a somersault to the floor.

Aldis was pushing the rematch with Cody at the NWA’s 70th anniversary show in Nashville.

Beretta flipped out of the corner and landed a clothesline on Cody, Beretta has been one of the standouts in the match so far.

Romero delivered the Forever clotheslines with the five Bullet Club members spread out in the corners. They responded with a five-man superkick to Romero simultaneously.

Nick ducked the Rainmaker and sent Okada up for Matt to hold for the Meltzer Driver, Nick was stopped, and Okada reversed with Chuckie assisting with a spike piledriver to Matt. Page missed the buckshot lariat and hit Matt with it.

Okada attempted the Rainmaker, Cody stopped it with the Cross Rhodes and lifted Okada, who countered and hit the Rainmaker to Cody.

Aldis announced his rematch with Cody will be a 2-of-3 falls match.

Beretta hit a piledriver to Nick onto the edge of the apron.

They are playing up several miscommunication spots among the Bullet Club.

Scurll hit a vertical suplex and turned it into the chicken wing onto Romero for the submission.

WINNERS: CODY, THE YOUNG BUCKS, MARTY SCURLL & HANGMAN PAGE AT 21:19

Very fun match and the audience loved it.

Everyone had their shine throughout the match and the underlying story was the Bullet Club on different pages and won despite their miscommunication at several points.

Cody accepted the 2 of 3 falls match with Aldis and stated that he makes the rules now that he’s champion.

JAY LETHAL VS WILL OSPREAY FOR THE ROH TITLE

It was an even back-and-forth at the start until Ospreay was sent to the floor and Lethal landed his suicide dives.

Ospreay is working a much different style and acclimating himself to a heavyweight style while not compromising his uniqueness.

Ospreay landed his own suicide dive to the floor and nailed Lethal with a kick to the chest. Lethal responded with a pair of heavy chops.

Ospreay attempted the Spacey Flying Tiger Drop and landed on his feet on the floor missing Lethal.

Lethal went for a superkick, hit Bobby Cruise and the title flew into the air and Ospreay caught it. Ospreay teased using the title to attack Lethal but opted not to.

Lethal set up for the Lethal Injection but was stopped with a reverse ‘rana.

Ospreay powerbombed Lethal off the apron onto the ladder that was set up on the floor.

Ospreay attempted the OsCutter and was caught with a cutter from Lethal in mid-air, he went for the Lethal Injection and Ospreay caught him with a superkick coming off the ropes.

Ospreay grabbed the title but threw it down and attacked with kicks and hit the OsCutter for a near fall.

Ospreay went for a top rope Frankensteiner, it was countered with a powerbomb off the top and Lethal hit the Lethal Injection to win the match.

WINNER: JAY LETHAL AT 22:48 TO RETAIN THE ROH TITLE

They shook hands after the match and were attacked by Vinny Marseglia and TK O’Ryan. Jonathan Gresham ran down to fight them off. Matt Taven appeared with his shaved head and had his own version of the ROH championship, he called himself “the real ROH champion” as they went off the air. It felt like Lethal and Taven is the next title program.

This was a great main event and it built very well. Ospreay wrestled a different style than normal and it was just as effective.

They had so many creative sequences that complimented the other. I really enjoyed the match and was the top match on the show.

The show was carried by the second half when the crowd woke up.

4 Likes

I’d like to see Scorpio in this tag match. His All In build really endeared him to me.

1 Like

Caprice Coleman is terrible

2 Likes

Interesting that this show really didn’t piggy back off of the momentum from All-In. SCU… lost. Flip… lost. Tenille (who didn’t wrestle at All-In but was on air)… lost. Bullet Club v. Chaos was predictable but still good. Ospreay should be near the conversation with the other O’s (Okada, Omega) for best wrestler in the world. He has plenty of time to have the opportunities to reach for that level, but IMO he’s that damn good. Looking forward to Long Beach, but wish ROH would have done more with their show.

2 Likes

Great report John I love these! I agree with everything you said. The show was hurt by the crowd and the second half it picked up quite a bit. That main event was so awesome.

Nothing was bad on the show, as is the case with ROH PPV however it’ll be some questionable decisions that won’t be capitalized on after the post All In buzz. Could it be the lack of commitment from most of bullet club that keeps ROH from giving them any big stories?

I mean if you watch ROH weekly, even the biggest Taven hater has to realize that he’s been screwed out of title shots and victories for over a year. He’s setting up the best damn babyface title win ever!! The booking actually makes perfect sense, which I know won’t get any credit. Taven Had an 8 count on Lethal the night after best in the world where lethal won the title, he had his title shot ripped away in his hometown due to Castle’s injury in May, it took the kingdom a year to get 6 man tag title shot and hell, the kingdom just lost the 6 man belts on TV weeks ago with Taven being pinned and he wasn’t even the legal man. The conspiracy is real. Problem is, Most ROH fans can’t stand him even though he’s a shade below Miz on the mic, But leagues above Miz in the ring.

The lack of interest it creates Will continue the streak of ROH just not getting a huge buzz going into Final Battle and after MSG I’m curious to see who is still with the company. No title changes tonight and I really thought the women’s would’ve gone to Tenille. Nothing was insulting on the show and entertained me for 3 hours, they do a good job I just wish more people noticed

He was almost unbearable. Get Colt back in the booth please.

1 Like

I did think we wouldn’t see any title changes on this show but the one I thought would move was the Women’s title. I don’t know why they decided to go with Sumie, I thought they had a much better selection for possible champions and going with Tenille could help them get extra attention.

Anyway, by this point of the year I don’t expect to see any big changes as I’m sure they’ll be saved for Final Battle. ROH have done the “they need to win a title before the end of the year” storyline before and so I expect SCU to win championships at Final Battle and not before.