Roman Reigns announces positive COVID-19 test, off WWE Day 1 card

Originally published at Roman Reigns announces positive COVID-19 test, off WWE Day 1 card

Roman Reigns is off the WWE Day 1 event tonight after announcing he tested positive for COVID-19.

The WWE Universal Champion stated he tested positive earlier in the day on Sunday and will be unable to have his match with Brock Lesnar at the show.

Lesnar has been added to the WWE Championship, which is now a fatal five-way with Big E., Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, and Bobby Lashley.

I yearn to perform tonight at #WWEDay1 to defend my Universal Championship. However, unfortunately, earlier today I tested positive for COVID-19. Due to the proper protocols I am unable to compete as originally scheduled. I look forward to returning to action as soon as possible.

ā€” Roman Reigns (@WWERomanReigns) January 1, 2022

BREAKING: @BrockLesnar to challenge for WWE Championship tonight in Fatal 5-Way Match at #WWEDay1 following @WWERomanReigns testing positive for COVID-19. https://t.co/wXmr4kzcz5 pic.twitter.com/WrRFmDSRjR

ā€” WWE (@WWE) January 1, 2022

Day 1 begins at 7 p.m. ET with the kickoff show followed by the main card at 8.

I thought they stopped testing? Would be interesting to know how this came to be. Roman has health history, I hope he does whatā€™s best for his health regardless of WWEs new policy.

1 Like

Heā€™s probably still on gleevac. Concerning for sure. He may have had 4 doses however so letā€™s hope heā€™s okay

1 Like

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Roman of course, hoping he can recover safely and securely.

With that said, this is also what happens when one person is so far ahead as the center of gravity of a company. You lose him, and not a single person (bar maybe Brock, and heā€™s never going to be full time) has that star power, because youā€™ve booked only one person to really matter.

So I know Omicron is less severe but somebody like Roman - fit young but has a history of real significant health issues. Like is he safe being exposed to Covid on a nightly basis now? Has the science and medical research changed where heā€™s no okay to be in these venues with 1000s of people. Same guy who was out in beginning of the Pandemic out of caution. I just hope this doesnā€™t wind up being negligence. I know thatā€™s not why he is out tonight but makes me wonder

Roman reigns technically qualifies as someone who has a haematological malignancies.

His particular condition, CML, is one of the easier myeloproliferative disorderā€˜s to treat. In a sense, if you were going to get a Leukaemia itā€™s the best one to have because the treatment involves a pill called Gleevec which is not nearly as toxic as others.

This is a deeper dive for those of you that like the nuts and bolts. The bottom line is he likely isnā€™t too much higher risk than the general population despite technically having a cancer that is probably still requiring some form of maintenance therapy.

2 Likes

A lot of companies have stopped testing asymptomatic vaccinated people. If Roman was symptomatic, that may have prompted a test. Or, maybe he did it on his own.

Any chance this is a storyline? Michael Cole just said that in the tweet he ā€œclaimed he tested positiveā€ in any case letā€™s hope heā€™s healthy and it doesnā€™t affect his higher risk health issues

I doubt it. Theyā€™d be real pieces of shit using covid as a storyline.

Iā€™m excited to see Brock mix it up with Lashley and Owens though.

1 Like

Oh yes. Brock and Lashley is something Iā€™ve wanted to see for some time. BTW Cole just changed from claiming to saying so šŸ¤·

ESPN is covering it. I doubt itā€™s a work

1 Like

I just thought Coleā€™s wording when they started the tag match on the pre-show to be weird.

1 Like