Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre set for WWE Clash at the Castle

Originally published at Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre set for WWE Clash at the Castle

McIntyre versus Reigns in Cardiff.

In the main event of WWE’s SummerSlam Premium Live Event, Roman Reigns retained the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship by outlasting Brock Lesnar in a Last Man Standing match. Undisputed WWE Tag Team Champions The Usos (Jimmy & Jey Uso) along with Paul Heyman played a role in Reigns getting the victory.

This past Friday night on SmackDown, Drew McIntyre defeated Sheamus in a singles match to determine the next challenger to the Undisputed WWE Universal Title at Clash at the Castle on September 3rd. McIntyre is now set to go one-on-one with Reigns at the event.

The LAST MAN STANDING is @WWERomanReigns.#SummerSlam pic.twitter.com/7NdERevIUU

— WWE (@WWE) July 31, 2022

.@BrockLesnar just lifted the ring with a tractor!!! #SummerSlam pic.twitter.com/HBJPzZmEgb

— WWE (@WWE) July 31, 2022

Reigns versus McIntyre is the first confirmed match for Clash at the Castle. The event is taking place at Principality Stadium which seats 70,000 people.

I’m excited for the match and the atmosphere around it.

I think it will be on of the first tests and insights into booking by the new regime.

Break the WWE norm and actually have the “hometown” hero win? (although it’s worth noting Scotland is not Wales).

Or stick to standard WWE booking and have Roman Reigns get another win after some shenanigans from Heyman?

Hopefully it’s the former and Drew can recapture the momentum he was on in early 2020 before the pandemic.

Blowing a 700+ day title reign for a hometown pop would be crazy IMO. If they actually want to go with McIntyre, they’ve got work to do between now and then.

But personally I still think Drew was booked to sell tickets (“Scotland, Wales, same thing, pal!”) and is going to get beat. One of Vince’s parting gifts to the new booker.

The only current viable options I think to beat Roman Reigns are either Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes, or Bobby Lashley. Almost anyone else would be unbelievable in that role.

He does have two title so there is a way to cleverly get one off of him if they want. I do think there is a high chance Drew walks out of there with the title, especially depending on what Cody’s timeline is. It probably makes sense for Cody to win the royal rumble and challenge someone at wrestlemania.

1 Like