Serena Deeb becomes NWA Women's Champion, title defense set for AEW Dynamite

Originally published at Serena Deeb defeats Thunder Rosa for NWA World Women's Title

The headlining match of tonight’s United Wrestling Network ‘Prime Time Live’ event saw Thunder Rosa put the NWA World Women’s Championship on the line against Serena Deeb. Deeb and Rosa went one-on-one on AEW Dynamite in September and Rosa was victorious but this go around, Serena Deeb bested Rosa and became the new NWA World Women’s Champion.

Thunder Rosa became NWA Women’s Champion this past January at the ‘Hard Times’ pay-per-view. She defended the title on AEW Dynamite, on the independent scene and for her own promotion based in Texas, Mission Pro Wrestling.

.@SerenaDeeb has just sent SHOCKWAVES through the #wrestling world!#AndNew!!!

Will we see a rubber match?@unitedwrestling #PrimeTimeLive pic.twitter.com/CfYDmhP14I

— FITE (@FiteTV) October 28, 2020

Gracious in defeat
Humble after a win

Thank you to @thunderrosa22 & @SerenaDeeb for putting on a battle tonight.

Congrats go out to Serena as your NEW WORLD WOMEN'S Champ. pic.twitter.com/kw0R5nLAba

— Maureen Tracy (@NWAMaureen) October 28, 2020

Thunder Rosa recently stated during an interview with Hannibal TV that she is training for her return to MMA and an announcement regarding that fight was going to be made very soon.

Serena Deeb will be in action on AEW Dynamite on 10/28 against Leyla Hirsch. Deeb will be putting her newly-won title on the line.

It’s still a surprise that Thunder Rosa lost the title. I figured the NWA would keep it on her till the end of the year?

What’s interesting is yet again AEW’s own champion, Hikaru Shida, wrestles on Dark (with this Leyla Hirsch last night), but AEW puts the NWA champion on their flagship show Dynamite.

Deeb is better skilled in the ring than Shida (though Shida is a better TV character). Still, I keep wondering why AEW makes these decisions.