Several WWE performers are not expected to go to Saudi Arabia

Originally published at Several WWE performers are not expected to go to Saudi Arabia

Several WWE performers are not expected to make the trip to Saudi Arabia in two weeks for the Super Showdown event in Jeddah.

It was first reported by Sean Ross Sapp at Fightful that Kevin Owens told WWE he did not want to perform at the event. On Tuesday’s episode of SmackDown Live, an angle was shot with Dolph Ziggler returning to set up a program with WWE champion Kofi Kingston at Super Showdown.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that Owens will not be on the show.

Additionally, we have been told that SmackDown tag champion Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, and Aleister Black will also not be taking part in the event. Specific reasons for their absences were not revealed. The news regarding Bryan was first reported by Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio.

Zayn’s absence during last year’s Greatest Royal Rumble was explained with an angle that caused him to experience “vertigo”. When asked why Zayn was left off the card, WWE released a broad statement on the matter:

WWE is committed to embracing individuals from all backgrounds while respecting local customs and cultural differences around the world.

Bryan worked the Greatest Royal Rumble event last year but did not return in November for the Crown Jewel show in Riyadh.

Good for them if they don’t want to go. WWE isn’t going to forced them into doing something they don’t feel comfortable. I feel like some fans will spin this into something negative towards WWE but i’m seeing only the positive of the situation in this since WWE could have forced them to go if they wanted too but they didn’t.

1 Like

Huh?

The major negative is the fact they are going. No spin needed.

1 Like

Considering none of them are from the attitude era, do you think they’ll be missed?

Personally, i’m looking forward to this show, the card is looking pretty strong considering it’s mostly just a live event that’s airing for the network and i really don’t care about the politics surrounding it. If the show is entertaining and that fans are actually enjoying themselves then that’s enough for me, but i respect those that think otherwise about the subject and want to skip the event because of the politics of the country or other reason.

I have been on vacation this week and just found out now with John’s post above that they brought Dolph Ziggler back. All I have to say is YIKES to that and good for the talent in sticking up for themselves if they don’t feel comfortable going!

I’m glad wrestlers have learned it’s okay to bow out of this and WWE is allowing it. Especially for Black considering he just started on the main roster.

Even after Bryan passed on going to Crown Jewel, he still held the WWE Title for nearly six months, refreshing his character in the process to positive results.

1 Like

Good for them. It’s a pointless show where the results will not matter whatsoever in the grand scheme of things.

Also, with all these performers dropping out it makes me wonder if the event will be “EQUIVALENT TO OR EXCEED WRESTLEMANIA”

Four guys not going…don’t even equal the drawing power of Goldberg and Undertaker’s.

Other than being extra bodies in their Battle Royal they offered nothing

1 Like

It was implied that Owens would have challenged Kingston at this show instead of Ziggler, so he would have had something more substantial.

I’m glad people like the UT and Goldberg still care about money more than values

According to Meltzer, Black is being held back because of his religious tattoos

1 Like

Of course! I never even thought of that.

I’d have more respect for wwe if they just admitted that the money was too good to turn down. Pretending they’re a progressive company whilst their performers are banned because of gender, nationality and religious expression.

1 Like

You understand why Zayn isn’t on the show, right?

1 Like

Don’t even try to reason with him… Even if you explain it, it’s going over his head.

It’s great all those people are trying to separate the show from the region’s politics… However, it’s truly impossible to do so. These shows are paid propaganda by the government. It’s ALL about the politics.

But hey you guys enjoy Goldberg vs Undertaker - in 2019 - in a country country literally crucifies people.

3 Likes