Shayna Baszler on Oral Session with Renae Paquette

Short clip, nothing groundbreaking here, but an interesting tidbit on Vince’s perspective on "TV matches’.

Essentially it just proves what we already know, he doesn’t see value in putting a much into TV matches. This is why I fast forward though 80% of TV matches.

If you want to watch the entire interview, see below:

I dont disagree with him. I’ve always thought we should get mostly squash matches, with maybe the main event as something decent. I probably fast forward 95% of matches in WWE and only watch the promos/angles.

1 Like

If you didn’t know, Shayna is a very very cool girl.

1 Like

I dont ether. I couldnt handle watching that many matches a week. Being able to FF through 80% of the matches makes SD a simply watch, and Raw a tolerable watch.

I typically watch most AEW matches, right now I dont feel they have run into that problem, however at some point they are going to run into similar issues.

The problem with Vince is his mindset in that regard doesn’t match his match making. If you don’t want to put much into TV matches then top talent should face other top talent. It should be upper and mid card talent against Jobbers. If you are having top talent face each other then you need to put something into the match otherwise you just kill the excitement around the matchup. If Hogan and Warrior had faced off 10 times on TV in nothing matches prior to their wrestlemania match then who would be excited for that match.

Also given that TV is their money maker these days I’m not sure how well the model of show squashes on TV and matches on PPV really would work. Especially with them putting most promos on YouTube. If the TV matches are skippable why tune in. I think they would need a much better midcard than they have (build wise not talent wise) to go to a show where you have lots of squash matches or midcard matches.

Just as a reminder, Monday Night Raw in the 90’s used to be a series of squash matches and then the stars would only face each other in PPV’s.

Wrestlemania used to be a series of short matches with only one big main event.

Wrestlemania 10:

Bam Bam Bigelow and Luna Vachon defeated Doink the Clown and Dink the Clown Mixed tag team match 6:09
4 Randy Savage defeated Crush (with Mr. Fuji) Falls Count Anywhere match 9:49
5 Alundra Blayze © defeated Leilani Kai Singles match for the WWF Women’s Championship 3:20
6 Men on a Mission (Mabel and Mo) (with Oscar) defeated The Quebecers (Quebecer Jacques and Quebecer Pierre) © (with Johnny Polo) by countout Tag team match for the WWF Tag Team Championship 7:41
7 Yokozuna © (with Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette) defeated Lex Luger by disqualification Singles match for the WWF Championship with Mr. Perfect as special guest referee 14:40
8 Earthquake defeated Adam Bomb (with Harvey Wippleman) Singles match 0:35

Only two matches that hardly scratched the 20 minutes mark. Ladder match Michaels vs. Razor and the opener Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart

Even the Main Event Yoku vs. Bret was only 10 minutes.

Looking back Wrestlemania cards sucked as much as TV. Back then I thought it was the greatest

They also had a “better” mid card and tag division and a 2 hour show

I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition, though. You still need t.v. matches that are good. But jobber matches are also needed. This idea of top star A vs. Top star C with 7 screw job finishes to hype up a pay per view is the worst possible strategy

1 Like