Shinsuke Nakamura comments on Antonio Inoki's passing, glad Inoki is a part of his journey

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/10/06/shinsuke-nakamura-comments-on-antonio-inokis-passing-glad-inoki-is-a-part-of-his-journey/

Nakamura weighs in on Inoki’s passing.

Wrestlers, viewers and those alike have continued to share memories of Antonio Inoki who passed away last week. Tokyo Sports caught up with Shinsuke Nakamura to get his thoughts on Inoki’s passing.

Nakamura said he had not been in contact with Inoki but heard from Simon Kelly Inoki, Antonio’s son-in-law, that the NJPW founder told Simon to say hello to Shinsuke for him.

I haven’t been in contact with him for a long time, but I heard through Simon Kelly that he said hello to me. It is very sad, but at the same time, I feel that we are at a turning point in time.

Nakamura recounted his experience training with Inoki and said he made a connection with him and Inoki helped guide him as a pro wrestler. Shinsuke said he’s had a unique journey in the sport and is glad Inoki was there for those first steps.

I was not sure what was right or wrong at the time, but I made a connection with him, and he guided me through my life as a professional wrestler. I don’t think there is anyone else who has led such a unique life in pro wrestling as I did, but I think it was Antonio Inoki who helped me take the first step on that path.

In September 2009, when Nakamura won the IWGP Heavyweight Title for a third time, he drew the attention of Antonio Inoki when he said he was going to bring back ‘Strong Style’ by getting the original IWGP Heavyweight belt from Inoki to replace the then-current version.

Nakamura said he caused a lot of trouble by doing that and jokingly added that he did not cause as much trouble as Inoki.

I caused a lot of trouble, but not as much as Mr. Inoki (laughs). I’ve only been wrestling for 20 years, but I think I can be proud to have made Antonio Inoki a part of my story.

Prior to Inoki’s passing, he and New Japan Pro-Wrestling reached an agreement for him to become an Honorary Chairman for life. The announcement was going to be made on October 10th.