SmackDown falls below two million viewers on overnight figures

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/05/02/smackdown-falls-below-two-million-viewers-on-overnight-figures/

The overnight figures for Friday Night SmackDown have come in placing the show under two million viewers for the first time on Fox.

Friday’s episode averaged 1,919,000 viewers over the two-hour program and down 4% from last week’s previous low. It was broken down with 1,941,000 in the first hour and 1,896,000 in the second hour. It is the fourth consecutive week the show has dropped from the week prior.

SmackDown featured two Money in the Bank Qualifying matches with Dolph Ziggler vs. Otis and Carmella vs. Mandy Rose, as well as matches advertised in advance with New Day vs. The Forgotten Sons and King Corbin vs. Daniel Bryan.

The show once again did 0.5 in the 18-49 demographic, placing it second-to-last among the big four networks on Friday night and equaling the number for The Blacklist on NBC.

Since the empty arena shows began on March 13th, SmackDown has averaged 2,279,000 viewers (including this week) but over the past three episodes, the average has been 2,037,000.

The final number will be out Monday reflecting the entire country.

This is going to keep happening if they don’t change the format of the show.

You can’t start the show off with a 30min Baron Corbin segment, even if it is wrestling Daniel Bryan. I have TIVO and fast forwarded through the entire thing, and when I saw it ended in a DQ all I could think about was the frustration of a viewer who actually watched. A match here or there is fine with the right guys, but the show needs to consist of more pre-produced segments.