Sonya Deville returns on Friday Night SmackDown

Well nothing has actually been explained yet. Just us kinda joking about it. But if I’m her, I probably don’t want them making a big deal of her absence because it might get more people to actually google why she was gone and make the criminal become more famous…so kinda just making a big deal of her coming back and then booking her into a big role might be the best case scenario. Rumble win for her or Bianca…or her getting the next challenger for Sasha at Rumble…all seems like best best purely positive tracks for her.

Instead of a “loser leaves town” stip, the could have used a suspension or a kayfabe injury to explain the absence. But, nope…pick the one that’s most difficult to come back from. This is the type of stupid booking that always happens

1 Like

How would you have booked your way out of the match? Non finish with an injury?

Knee injury? Punches Stefani in the face, resulting in a suspension? Or, just telling the truth. Nobody could possibly fault her for taking time off.

Sure…but how do you book the finish to the Summerslam match?

Book her to be stretched out mid match with a knee injury(?) What does it matter?

Well the entire conversation here is “what could the WWE have done better given the circumstances”. It matters because its relevant to the conversation. Until I know what you would do instead, I can’t say if I agree with you or not. I’m not trying to be an ass or anything, but I think its a very relevant question to ask given the topic.

They had a hair vs hair match that they had to scrap last minute. Their options were to 1) cxl the match all together, 2) change the stipulation, 3) change the winner (ie. Mandy shaves her head), 4) do a a BS finish, or 5) working around the stip.

Going back to the choices, my guess is that the girls didn’t want to scrap the biggest match of their respective careers, and for them to loose the match after everything that happened would just be shitty. I’ll take a bad storyline over these woman loosing their match and feeling like shit (not that anyone is implying they should have cancelled the match).

Mandy isn’t shaving her head. I’m sure she wouldn’t want to do it, plus it wouldn’t be the right call. (again though, nobody is calling for this).

You are very limited in terms of changing the stip, you can’t change it to something less meaningful, so I can’t blame them for going from hair vs hair to looser leaves WWE.

A BS finish IMO does more harm then disregarding the stipulation. I think fans would be still be mad because they got yet another WWE non finish, and this time on a PPV in a match billed as a blow off.

To be clear, ignoring the stip sucks and I’m not happy with the choice. I agree with everything @MarkP said in regards to the WWE not sticking to things, there is a reason why so many fans watch WWE with apathy. 99% of the time I would be super annoyed with them for doing a stip then ignoring it. In this one instance though, I actually think they did the right thing.

Now, should they have been more creative in the way they brought her back, Yes. But, I’ll wait to see if there is an explanation, though I’m not holding my breathe.

1 Like

My read on the thread was that people are upset that they ignored the stip. To each their own though.

I dont agree with having her attack Mandy, I feel thats just as lazy if not worse. They feuded for months, had a blow off match and she lost. I know it sounds cliche, but I dont need to see her go backwards, lets move forward. Though I do agree they could have been more creative bringing her back, and I think that was your main point, so with that we agree.

Also agree with the last line, I hope they explain something. We’ll see, but like you said I dont have high hopes.

To paraphrase EWR, “High Risk Incident”.

Either have Mandy take Sonya out for a few months via an impressive spot, or have Sonya go too far after beating Mandy & force the company to “suspend” her…Which plays into the previously suggested tactic of Sonya popping up to harass Mandy, forcing Mandy to get the company to rescind the suspension.

That’s not world-changing booking (or even a particularly great idea)…But it’s MUCH better than what we’ve gotten so far.

:100:

3 Likes

Thank you for providing idea’s, thats all I was asking people for earlier in the thread. Its so easy to just say something sucks, I prefer debate where we look at other options.

I see what you are saying, play out one of these angles when the match was still a hair vs hair match as doing either of these under the stip of looser leaves WWE would still not work (because someone still gets DQ’d or doesn’t answer the 10 count).

I think your ideas could have worked. I still think some fans would complain that they didn’t follow through on a stip (ie someone gets their head shaved) but given the circumstances I’d hope fans understood. You could have had Sonya go too far and take Mandy out months and get suspended herself and then do the hair vs hair stip at mania.

1 Like