Spots that should disappear in 2019

The audience spots, such as;

-“You deserve it”

-Chanting a promotions name; you can add a multiplier to this if they’ve been out of business for almost 20 years.

-Singing some cleverly modified song.

Audience wise, I hate most of the chants because you know when they are coming and it’s very repetitive. Some are just silly. I like Bailey’s one cause it’s special.

2 Likes

I think there is certainly an exception that proves every rule and while I disagree with you on the Bailey song, you’re allowed to enjoy wrestling any way you want to. In a way I don’t mind people carrying on Shinsuke’s theme at the start of a match, going in to the first tie-up. It really feels to me like the audience is not in a position to pay attention to the match or be emotionally invested in the current action taking place when they’re singing a song to themselves.

I understand they’re singing because they like the wrestler, maybe I’m just looking at it from too much of a North-American perspective, seems people in Europe sing and chant at sports events. I’d just love to see the reaction of the audience if the wrestlers went in to a series of pin/counter-pin moves that resulted in the end of the match while they were taking a break from responding in a normal manner.

Thats not a spot…it’s just shitty work.

I liked it too…until they started using it for using it for other girls in the UK.

Audience/performer spot: staredown before the match until the crowd caves and starts chanting “this is awesome”, regardless of the actual awesomeness.

And by “performer”, I mean Triple H pretty much exclusively.

2 Likes

I still get really mad thinking about TNA fans chanting ‘YOU STILL GOT IT’ at Sting before the match started.

I’d also like to signal boost the earlier poster who said the five+ man superplex spot needs to go away and stay away.

Until everybody is doing it. And most of them are.

Well that’s too bad. I will always remember Manchester 2017 Raw, that was the loudest one.

More of a reflection on the so called “work rate” of todays performers tbh.

Be like saying throwing shitty work punches is a spot.

Man I don’t know if I’m the only one that feels this way but most of these suggestions are major bummers. Have you forgotten that pro-wrestling is meant to be live entertainment? Every move, every spot is meant to get as much reaction as possible from the crowd. It’s not a play your watching or even a symphony with polite applause.

Hot tags, towers of doom, headlocks, suicide dives, etc generate a reaction from the crowd and that’s all that matters. Watching a shitty match in front of an insane crowd is a lot more fun than a masterpiece in silence.

2 Likes

I really like your point. I am totally a “watch a masterpiece in silence” kind of guy. My favourite matches are the ones that look like a real fight, with no breaks. Sure it can never be perfect but NXT is close to that. I’m hoping wrestling is going towards this direction.

Keep doing the same spots in every match and it’s not going to elicit any reactions.

That’s the point…perhaps use them more sporadically and they’ll be special and garner even greater reactions as a result.

People have been chanting “woo” after any chop for 20+ years. I don’t think you need to worry so much about moves losing a reaction from the crowd. The crowd is there to have a good time. Put on a show for them!

Well it comes back to same old question. Who do they want to make the show for ? Little Tommy and his family or Hardcore Steve who has been going to every wrestling show since 1988 ? I am fed up with some WWE spots. I’m not saying matches, just some very repetitive spots. Again I’m not a casual viewer, so my point of view is different from your average viewer.

There’s a reason why people don’t react to the first AA on a Cena PPV match…or superkicks not meaning anything these days.

A superplex was the coolest thing that made me a fan of pro wrestling when I saw Dynamite Kid do it to Macho Man on a Colliseum Video.

Now it means jack shit unless Orton is doing it.

Chants are not the same as match spots.

Not sure how that got added to the topic, unless we admitting smarky fans are only there to get their shit in like they’re rasslers.

Smarky fans trying to to get their shit in like they’re rasslers is a spot I’d love to see disappear in 2019.

2 Likes

Welcome to a wrestling forum where people give their opinion on wrestling.

Wrestling is entertainment that is supposed to be enjoyed. Books are also a form entertainment that are meant to be enjoyed; that doesn’t mean I have to like every book ever written or every style of writting to be a fan of literature. I would take the headlockyest Orton match over any match that features a tower of doom spot because they take about a minute and a half to set up and are almost always executed in a clumsy, awkward fashion. It’s just not visually impressive to see that level of cooperation when you’re trying to suspend your disbelief. I strongly agree with you that a bad match with a great audience is preferred to a great match with a bad audience. It’s why I like watching wrestling from the 90’s a lot more than almost anything after about 2006, when fans going in to business for themselves kind of went in to overdrive.

I second this 2837463651738371 times.

1 Like