Sting debuts at AEW 'Winter Is Coming', signs multi-year contract

Literally everything you said happened to me too.

1 Like

What programme are you watching? They have two guys who can cut great promos who rarely get to cut promos.

Both are also irrelevant in their roles.Tully is a heel manager but doesn’t get involved in the matches and Arn does jack shit. And the other guys they have like Jake and Taz overshadow the guys they manage (with the exception of Ricky Starks).

1 Like

So wait, the guys who cut promos should be cutting promos every week? But no, then they’d overshadow the talent they manage, right?

Anyways, I think they’ve done a decent job with legends who come in - and usually make them feel special. Even with a guy like DDP, they booked around his weaknesses and let him get in the ring.

2 Likes

As usual, incapable of understanding that it doesn’t need to be one or the other. Either that or refusing to acknowledge the failings because of your blind admiration of AEW.

It is possible for a manager to cut a promo but not take up all the promo time (Jake) and let their stars talk (assuming they can).

And DDP should have never been allowed to wrestle. It was embarrassing watching a once great worker flailing in there. If you call that good booking then it speaks volumes.

1 Like

Taz should be overshadowing Cage and Hobbs - neither guy can talk and Taz has been amazing in the role.

Tully and Arn have both been fine. Jake I think started off really well but I just don’t think whatever he’s doing is working

3 Likes

So let me get this straight, when the manager cuts great promos for his talent, he’s “overshadowing” but when he sits in the background he’s “doing nothing”. And all this analysis from someone who “hasn’t watched in months”. Sure.

3 Likes

I get the feeling Booker T knew all about it back in May:

Had to watch this again… I really can’t say enough about how great Tony Schiavone is in his role as the mark-ish announcer representing the lapsed fans they’re trying to appeal to. There’s been plenty of criticism lobbed at J.R. and Excalibur since AEW Dynamite debuted, but has anyone had anything bad to say about Tony? How could you? He really brings these segments to life.

4 Likes

A big part of Tony’s broadcast style is as a hype man, so it works very well when the product is good and exciting.

A lot of the criticism of Tony came during the end of WCW, when he was still pimping “the greatest Nitro in the history of our sport” after the fifth straight week of a DQ, non-finish main event. That killed his credibility and reputation for a long time. If he had turned up in WWE in 2001, he probably still would have been shit on, but the decade-long break from calling (mainstream) wrestling helped tremendously in getting past that. People now remember him fondly and/or don’t remember him all that well, and to his credit, he has taken advantage of the opportunity by turning in consistently solid work.

2 Likes

You have it anything but straight. And yes, I haven’t watched in months.

Then how do you have such strong opinions on how these performers are doing if you haven’t watched in months?

5 Likes

AEW deserves to be watched just because they hired Tony Schiavone. WWE was stupid for not trying to sign him when WCW died. Instead we were stuck with a lame and boring Micheal Cole all of these years.

1 Like

I am still pissed off at HHH for beating Sting at WrestleMania. I am also pissed off at WWE for not giving us a Sting and Undertaker interaction. WWE never created Sting so they cant possibly make him look good against HHH. HHH was never as big of a star as Sting was so I bet that win made him feel good. HHH must be jealous of Stone Cold, The Rock, and Taker for never being at their level of popularity. Yet WWE tries to make it seem as if he was on that level.

1 Like

That match was such a joke. Showed how insecure Vince and HHH are.

2 Likes

In theory Sting vs Taker would have been cool, but at their respective ages I think it would have been horrible. Probably best left to imagination.

That is the one thing though I’m upset about with sting going to AEW, while I didn’t want to see it in the ring, I think they could have done something like the graveyard match between them that could have been really good. With fans, The buildup would have been awesome.

Agreed about the HHH/Sting match, while I remember the buildup being really good, I hated the match. Too much goofy shit, and bad finish. I liked what he did with Rollins though, too bad he got hurt.

1 Like

What they did with Sting is why he avoided WWE in the first place. He saw how the WCW guys were buried and said “no thanks”, finally gave in and Vince confirmed he was right all along.

1 Like

I can’t argue the bad booking in the mania match, but to be fair we have no idea how his run would have played out with him had he not got hurt in the Rollins match. Really, outside of the actually HHH match which I 1000% agree was horrible, I thought everything else was strong and I remember the majority of fans being into it as well.

Debut at Survivor Series was amazing, buildup to mania match was really good, actual mania match was awful, build-up to Rollins was good (remember when he was hiding in the box, or something like that), match with Rollins before the injury was good, and his HOF handling was good as he was given top billing.

Granted, if it played out it could have gotten worse, but unfortunately we’ll never know because of the injury.

1 Like

Bringing Sting into WWE was fan service where they forgot about the fans.

It’s hard to quantify how much money they blew with that whole fiasco (because we don’t know what happens in the long run if he doesn’t get hurt), but you’ve got a think there was a way to book Sting’s first WWE match and follow up that would’ve paid off better than the garbage we got.

4 Likes

Agreed, there is no defending that match. So many run-ins which included Scott Hall and Hulk Hogan who could barely move. You had Scott Hall/Kevin Nash on the side of Sting someone they NEVER were aligned with, going up against Shawn/HHH/X-Pac who everyone knows they are best BFF’s with.

MAYBE if you shot an angle separating Hall/Nash from the rest of the kliq it could have worked, but they expected us to believe that for one night they randomly turned on their best friends for a guy who happened to work with them in WCW 20 years ago. So bad.

Then to cap it off, you have HH go over. I would have even understood it if Sting was out the door the next day as you arent going to have an outsider come in, pin one of your legends, then leave. But they had him in a title match just a few months later! All booking logic says you should have had him go over.

1 Like

Just because somebody is bound to point it out, Nash and Sting were both in the Wolfpac. But yes, you’re 100% right about how nonsensical that match was.

And if you want to argue that it doesn’t matter, because it was just meant to be a fun, nostalgic segment more than a match… then that’s a point well taken, but remains an atrocious way to book Sting at Mania in his first ever WWE match.

3 Likes