Successful WWE Title Defenses in the "Modern Era"

I was thinking recently about if WWE adopted the New Japan model of emphasizing the number of successful title defenses by their World Champion instead of treating every “hot potato” title reign as equally important. So with a quick scan of Cage Match, here are some fun facts that I came up with.

First, a few things…

• I have chosen to focus only on televised title defenses, just because otherwise this list would be kind of anti-climactic. I assure you that nobody’s touching the multi-year reigns of Bruno, Backlund or Hogan.

• As such, I have only tracked back to 1993 and the start of Monday Night Raw, when the idea flipping the World Title on a house show became a thing of the past (except for Diesel/Backlund in late 1994).

• Any match that the champion won (including DQ/Countout) in which he could have lost the title was included. Why the hell was the title defended in tag matches so much in the 2000s?

• If the champion retained the title but did not win the match, that match was not included as a successful defense.

• This list isn’t meant to “prove” anything. WWE did just fine during the Attitude Era with nobody getting to more than six successful defenses for a span of about three years (1996-99). And there’s really no comparing the MSG/house show eras to today anyway. It’s just a thing I looked into in my free time that I figured I would share with a mildly interested audience.

So, without further delay. In the “modern era” of WWE…

• The most successful title defenses in a single reign is 14, belonging to CM Punk (11/20/11 – 1/27/13) and John Cena (9/17/06 – 2/10/07).

• Including a few instances where the champion vacated before ever defending the strap, there have been 29 title reigns without a successful defense. John Cena has done this five times (one of which is a bit murky because it was during the CM Punk “interim champ” thing in 2011).

• Shoutout to Mankind for the most world title reigns (3) without ever recording a successful title defense.

• The most recent champion to hit double-digits was AJ Styles with 11 successful defenses (11/7/17 – 11/13/18). Kofi was almost there with 9. In Seth Rollins’ first reign in 2015, he was at 7 before he tore up his knee and had to vacate.

4 Likes

One thought I have here is with the “most successful” stat it is interesting that the Cena reign had 14 defenses in less than 5 months, whereas the CM punk run was just over 14 Months.

Without knowing more I would guess Punk had more “shady” finishes where he remained champions whereas Cena consistently won clean all the time.

Yup. The Cena reign is pretty “clean” while Punk’s reign had two countout losses, three DQ losses, a no contest and a double-pin.

1 Like

I figured though 14 defenses in 5 months seems like a ton. Almost 3 each month. Whereas even with those additional retention Punk was 1.3 defenses per month.

This is great stuff @RocketKing. I love the stats.

I’m wondering if you looked into the two brand-splits and creation of the WWE Heavyweight Title (2002-2013) and now the Universal Championship (2016-now).

By the end, the heavyweight championship was definitely the secondary world title. But at the beginning it was the main title on Raw with Triple H and Batista having lengthy reigns with it.

Yeah, I went with the World Title because it’s the one with the history and was usually the main title. But I’ll take a look at the others. There’s a few unifications and other weird things (like the CM Punk “interim” champ thing with Rey and Cena) that I don’t know much about because I wasn’t following at the time.

WHC: Triple H’s late 2002 into 2003 reign (the one ended by Goldberg) had nine successful defenses. Batista also had nine in his reign that started at Wrestlemania 21.

Universal: Kevin Owens’s reign and Brock’s reign that started at WM33 (vs. Goldberg) both had six successful defenses.