Talk is Jericho - Kenny Omega

i always get the vibe that Jericho would rather have a oscar worthy storyline feud than a 5 star classic match. I do enjoy that he breaks them down in his books and interviews.

1 Like

I can tell you that Grown Ups 2 is a piece of shit, awful movie without giving any subtext at all.

I think Dave’s opinion on matches still means something. Not a lot, but generally speaking he has good taste and his recommendations are usually solid. His journalistic integrity has been in the firing line (and rightfully so) more often then not, but he knows a good match when he sees one and is very progressive when it comes to shining a light on non-WWE matches and performers.

Dayum…what’s it say about Meltzer and using an Adam Sandler movie?

Nothing, they’re totally unrelated. I’m just pointing out that you don’t need to analyse anything deeply if it’s clear-as-day dogshit.

I’m actually in no position to really go to bat for Meltz, as his reporting has been really off base for the past couple of years and has got steadily worse. I actually have hopes that Pollock becomes the new standard in wrestling journalism and reporting.

1 Like

At least Austin got to talk to Beefcake longer than John did

I was a little iffy on listening to them break down the match right after it happened. But it’s a fascinating listen. Good to know they’re both ultimately wrestling geeks like the rest of us.

He compares every wwe show or takeover to a PWG or New Japan show. Most likely a wwe or NXT match will not get a 5 star rating at mania weekend because of all the other shows out there and the few non-WWE shows he’ll attend and compare.

Yeah, I listened to this the day it came out. He documents the entire thing really well with this and his previous interview with Don Callis. Loved it.

1 Like

He does do this to some extent at his year end roundup of top matches.

At the end of the day as others have said, Dave is one guy with one opinion. People have put him on a pedestal and its not really on him that its become the case.

I will say though if you use his match ratings to look for good matches you in general will not be disappointed. You may not agree with his final rating but if he says something is 5 stars chance are its worth a watch regardless of “japanese bias”.

I do agree that the japanese style (this doesn’t include all japanese promotions as there are some promotions who are more entertainment oriented such as Dragon Gate or DDT) lends itself to better match ratings because its about what happens in the ring. Rating systems don’t account for match build necessarily, nor do they attach themselves to promos leading up to the match and so forth.

I do think the marks who hate on Dave though are kinda silly to do so. The man is just doing a job, the fans are who are making Dave into what some seem to hate.

You lose credibility when you use words like “mark”…even Meltzer would attack you online for using it.