Taz Signs Multi-Year Deal With All Elite Wrestling

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/01/16/taz-signs-multi-year-deal-with-all-elite-wrestling/

Longtime commentator and former two-time ECW World Heavyweight Champion Taz has agreed to a multi-year deal with All Elite Wrestling. The company posted a video onto their social media channels of AEW Co-Executive Vice President Cody Rhodes, Chris Harrington and Taz signing the contract to make things official at AEW’s Bash At The Beach event in Coral Gables, Florida on January 15th.

Yesterday #AEWDynamite was extended to 2023 by @tntdrama and Today we are happy to announce that @OfficialTAZ has signed a multiple year agreement with #AEW pic.twitter.com/dX99wxdfvR

— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) January 16, 2020

Taz was on the call for last night’s AEW Dark which will premiere on the All Elite Wrestling YouTube channel next week. Taz has called several episodes of AEW Dark in the past and he also joined Excalibur and Jim Ross on commentary for the January 1st episode of Dynamite on TNT.

Taz is a part of the commentary team history in WWE, IMPACT Wrestling and now he is joining All Elite Wrestling. It was not specified what exactly his role in the company will be, but Taz is going to be with AEW for the foreseeable future.

The 1/15 episode of Dynamite built to the Jericho Cruise edition of the show next week and it will feature Jon Moxley versus PAC to determine Chris Jericho’s challenger to his AEW World Championship. Kenny Omega and Hangman Adam Page emerged victorious from a four-way tag match to earn an opportunity at S.C.U.’s (Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky) AEW World Tag Team Titles next week. Also, Cody Rhodes accepted all of MJF’s stipulations in order to get a match with MJF at ‘Revolution’ and Cody will begin checking that list of stipulations off by facing Wardlow in a Steel Cage match on February 19th in Atlanta, Georgia.

This is good news, did great on his one appearance. JR is a bigger name but Taz is the better commentator now. They should phase JR out of commentary and maybe into some sort of backstage role.

1 Like

I really don’t think that is going to happen, JR’s 40 or so years of on-air broadcasting adds tons of credibility to the completely new AEW brand.

Same reason that AXS loved having JR do their NJPW commentary.

He’s still very valuable.

Their commentary team is already really good with Excalibur doing the heavy lifting. Tony Schiavone is just awesome, he’s entertaining and seamlessly ties the three man booth together. He’s such a pro and more than makes up for any of JR’s perceived weaknesses.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Taz hosts their new one hour TV show and possibly does something on Dark more regularly as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Kevin Kelly is the best commentary person on the planet (ever notice that no matter what colour guy he works with, they are excellent? I’m pretty sure that’s all Kevin Kelly’s mentoring).

FACTS

Been saying this for years. Somewhere here there is a Kevin Kelly appreciation thread I started.