The 2018 G1 Climax Discussion Thread

“It feels like Kazuchika Okada has lost his title and went on an acid trip and now is in the G1” - John Pollock

I don’t mind this character change and find it silly yet enjoyable because he’s one of the best 3 wrestlers in the world. It’s almost like they are doing a broken-Okada character who has lost his identity and now has balloons and yells scooby dooby doo like a child. He went from being The Man to a child. And as an audience he’ll never be diminished to us because he’s the greatest champion ever and incredible.

3 Likes

I was just thinking about that. The Bucks have said on past podcasts that Okada is a silly dude and likes to play practical jokes backstage. So I think his character is going through a transitional period from having to be a regal champion to someone who’s “letting it loose”. However, the cool thing is that I think the transition is methodically planned and will be a key element to a championship run.

1 Like

Interesting. It already feels like the theme for this year is all of the factions are on the verge of coming apart. With Jay White’s rant on the end of night 1 and EVIL / Sanada’s refusal to refer to Naito by name…I dunno, am I overthinking this?

1 Like

I’m not seeing what everyone else does in Sanada. He’s very very basic in the ring. He has a couple high risk moves, but they are the most basic of high risk moves there is. He’s not a great brawler. He’s an ok at best wrestler. He has one submission hold, which I’m sorry, but he applies worse than anyone I’ve seen use the dragon sleeper. In my opinion, Okadas worst title match was with him.

I’m not saying he’s bad. He’s had matches I’ve enjoyed, but I am not seeing it with him. I don’t think he will ever be more than IC Title level.

1 Like

I can see your point, and the dragon sleeper on Goto had me scratching my head for a minute. Everyone was trying to sell the move, while Sanada’s bicep was around Goto’s eyes.

1 Like

That’s how he does it 95% of the time and it’s annoying. I pick on him maybe more, because that is one of my favourite submissions and I always notice it. I remember in one match, it may have been with Okada or Ibushi, they had it on him and it looked way more locked in.

1 Like

Just took today to catch up on the last two cards. Not sure if anyone else said it but the Yoshi-Hashi match against Makabe was entertaining. Probably the most entertaining match I’ve seen Yoshi-Hashi in since watching NJPW.

Really liking Jay White’s heel work. He felt one dimensional when he debuted even after his feud with Omega. But he seems to be gaining strength and after his match with Juice it just took off for me. His match with Okada was solid, I wish Rocky Romero sold his disappointment more being in Chaos but, that is a small criticism. His tag match on night two where he pushed Yoh to make a dirty move was cool and when Yoh threw the chair away and took the pin while Jay White stood there saying “Should have listened” was great.

I really liked Yano in night 2, he felt exciting. He really played it up like he was trying to give up his cheating ways but old habits died hard. I thought that match was among my favourites on night 2.

1 Like

I also loved the Yano match. I have been looking forward to creative ways they will get him wins and expect a big win out of him given the names in his block.

@ScottyDee I think we are looking at the factions the same way.

As John said on the review of night 1 it is not likely some of these lines made by commentators or post match promos / interviews are throw away at this point. Everything feels well thought out or seems to be.

1 Like

Damn good start to the weekend. I’ll only be able to avoid spoilers on weekends because my work schedule has wrestling podcasts included lol. Omega and Naito tore it up. I picked Suzuki and Ibushi in the finals with Ibushi winning. I think I screwed up a couple of my picks though because I have Suzuki losing too much in the actual picks. Oops. Going to watch Extreme Rules tonight but I’m sure itll just be used as a sleep aid instead.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a Suzuki/Ibushi final

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:. “And let’s go to Sasha and Bayley in therapy.” :man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

After the first two nights I gotta put my top 3 as ZSJ/Ibushi, Omega/Naito and Suzuki/Tanahashi. The commentary helps add to those matches as well so much.

With that being said, now we have extreme rules with a RAW commentary team that takes away so much from matches.

3 Likes

He was a GM on ECW TNN as well. He’s a great heel.

Nakamura has joined Jay White’s Chaos!!!

It’s obviously a small sample size, but Tama’s first match didn’t get me salivating for the run he’s likely to have in the tournament to kick off all manner of Firing Squad/Golden Elite/And The Rest feuds. I don’t mind the interference, it’s just that it’s Bullet Club 101 from a couple of years ago, and Tama looked just as “meh” in ring as he has in previous G1s.

That’s a small nitpick in an otherwise totally enjoyable weekend. I’m still shuddering at Tana’s inverted dragon screw (and Suzuki’s reaction to it), and Omega/Naito could have main evented just about any major NJPW show. God damn I’m glad it’s G1 season again! :smiley:

1 Like

this is my first g1 watching every match, only other njpw show ive seen was the san francisco show, but so far its been amazing, way better than any main roster match ive seen this year in the wwe

I would agree with those three. jay white and Okada was disappointing

I think Jay White is going to the finals now. You dont beat Okada & Tanahashi back to back, without something big coming from it. Unless he starts getting super cocky and falls back down to grace, I’m thinking White/Ibushi in the final. Ibushi is super over and as a baby face and White is killing it since San Francisco with his heel work.

Incredible match between Elgin and Page. One of the best of the tournament so far. Tanahashi and White would have been good if not for all the overbooked ref nonsense. They need to cut that shit out, it brings down the match.

1 Like

I have to agree, with these 2 big wins kicking off his tournament it looks like Jay is heading to the finals. They must have faith in him to give him these 2 wins at the start.