The 2019 Royal Rumble will take place at Chase Field in Phoenix

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/01/24/the-2019-royal-rumble-will-take-place-at-chase-field-in-phoenix/

The WWE announced on Wednesday that the 2019 Royal Rumble will be taking place at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona.

The outdoor baseball stadium will host the Royal Rumble event on Sunday, January 27th, 2019 and will be the first time the company has run a pay-per-view event from a baseball stadium since WrestleMania 19 at Safeco Field in March 2003.

The Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix will host NXT Takeover on Saturday, January 26th along with Raw and SmackDown Live that week.

John Saboor, the WWE’s executive vice president of special events, spoke to The Republic and estimated over 40,000 fans will be in attendance for the Royal Rumble event.

This would not be the biggest Royal Rumble of all time as both the 1997 and 2017 versions at The Alamo Dome in San Antonio are likely to have higher attendance figures than Chase Field can accommodate.

Saboor added that site visits and planning would begin at the ballpark by no later than March.

First baseball park to hold a WWE PPV since Safeco Field in Seattle for WrestleMania XIX…

2 Likes

Should look better than a GFW show.

I’ve always thought that holding SummerSlam in a classic ballpark like Fenway or Wrigley would make for great TV.

SummerSlam would be difficult because that’s well into baseball season, WWE plans big venues way in advance, and it takes several days to construct the set and take it down. You’re asking the home team to go on a lengthy road trip at this point.

Awesome. I hope they do more of this. Hey, take the extra revenue from this Rumble to subsidise having a Raw at the Hammerstein Ballroom or somewhere. Mix things up, the product has looked identical for years.

Not necessarily. It’s common for teams to go on road trips for 10-12 days. The Red Sox, for example, are in the road for 11 days in August this year and regularly hold concerts at Fenway through the summer.

This is a nice surprise. I like the idea of The Rumble in a stadium, If Summerslam is at a Stadium in 2019 that should be it since because you don’t want to over do it.