The British Bulldog joining WWE Hall Of Fame class of 2020

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/03/12/the-british-bulldog-joining-wwe-hall-of-fame-class-of-2020/

Over the past week, it had been touted that the newest member of the WWE Hall Of Fame class of 2020 was going to be revealed on a new episode of WWE After The Bell with Corey Graves. That episode released today and Graves revealed that joining the 2020 class is Stampede Wrestling Hall Of Famer and former WWF Intercontinental, European and Tag Team Champion, “The British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith.

Georgia Smith, daughter of British Bulldog tweeted out her excitement as the news broke. She noted that she’s had to keep quiet over the past month and she’s elated to finally speak out about the good news.

I’ve had to be quiet for over a month… It’s been confirmed and official… Now I can shout it to the world!!!! MY DAD IS BEING INDUCTED INTO THE @WWE HALL OF FAME! I LOVE YOU DAVEY!!! pic.twitter.com/cQRXNPnhEj

— Georgia Smith (@georgiasmith87) March 12, 2020

Former 3-time IWGP Tag Team Champion Davey Boy Smith Jr. appeared on WWE programming last month when joined WWE’s ‘The Bump’ show from Stamford, Connecticut.

British Bulldog has an extensive resume in professional wrestling as he started wrestling in his teens and soon made his way to Canada to train with the Hart family. Smith soon became a key piece of the Stampede Wrestling promotion which later inducted him into their Hall Of Fame. Davey Boy Smith gained experience in New Japan Pro-Wrestling and All Japan Pro Wrestling.

After his time in Japan, he joined the WWF and spent four years in the company before returning to Stampede and All Japan. He would later return to WWF, have a stint in WCW and another return to WWF. British Bulldog passed away in May of 2002 and his last match took place on May 11th of that year and he had the opportunity to team with his son Davey Boy Smith Jr. in Canada.

Smith joins The Bella Twins, Batista, The n.W.o. (Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Sean Waltman & Hulk Hogan) and John Bradshaw Layfield in the WWE Hall Of Fame class of 2020.

3 Likes

This is long past due. While you can point out the ridiculousness of WWE’s hall of fame it always honestly seems to mean a lot to the inductees and their families. You can tell his daughter is excited about it.

Ok I definitely don’t know what I’m talking about here so maybe someone can explain how the Godfather made it to the HOF before Davey Boy Smith? :woman_shrugging:

The Godfather is alive.

You’d think that criteria would work in the opposite direction

Oh yeah! But this isn’t a “real” “traditional” Hall of Fame.

1 Like