The inaugural All Elite Wrestling thread

I think it’s important that guys are exclusive. As awesome as the indy scene has been for fans recently, I don’t think that the individual promotions have gained as much from it in the long term. The landscape has become about “guys” not brands. In 2018, the Young Bucks worked for NJPW, ROH, WSW, PWG - and many others are in similar situations.

If AEW is serious about long-term success on a national and international level, it needs to be a brand where attractions and talents like the Young Bucks (bad example due to their backstage involvement, but you get it) are ONLY available on their television and at their events. Maybe they can’t go full speed ahead with that from day one, but it needs to be the long-term plan.

1 Like

Sold out in 4 minutes. I guess maybe they know a bit more about what they’re doing than us armchair general managers

I’m not concerned about them selling PPV tickets. I’m waiting to see what the TV stuff is going to look like.

1 Like

What i’m looking forward to see is how many tickets where bought by real fans and how many where bought by scalpers. All in sold out in minutes but they add a lot of tickets that showed up on resell sites, so did the ROH garden show. So scalpers are not dumb, they know that this is one of the hottest show going on in vegas, so does fans trying to make a quick buck. So selling out is great and all for them but imagine how much money peoples are making off they’re product by reselling tickets for this show at double or even triple the price.

FWIW, I bought real Supercard and WrestleMania tickets and that didn’t stop me from posting them onStubhub for 3-5x as much. It’s pretty normal behavior in ticket buying. If you can make 3x or more and are okay not going, do it!

1 Like

Not sure how or why that data would ever become public?

Selling tickets (to fans) is hard, this podcast from Freakonomics has some great insight.

1 Like

The two dumbest things happening in the “IWC” right now, one on each side of the equation:

1. Grasping at straws to downgrade what AEW has accomplished.

2. Pretending that selling out a “super card” with months of promo and no other events in the meantime is the same as building a consistent and sustainable viewing (and spending) audience.

4 Likes

Happens with most popular events, so what?

It’s the opposite of WWE tickets, which are ice cold. Look at Rumble this year. I went to Mania and the Raw after and it was not hard at all to get tickets.

Just wondering what are your take on the fact that the price of tickets for double or nothing on the secondary market is slowly dropping?

I far as i’m concerned, the fact that you we really don’t talk that much about AEW right now and kinda hurt the interest surrounding the event. That’s not a problem for now as i feel that interest for the show will pick up once we get near the event and most tickets on the secondary market will be sold but for now, with the lack of interest with AEW and nothing big happening on their sign, some might see this as they’re first setback and might lead to some seeing this as a sign that this will fail.

It’s wrestlemania season. You think a promotion not coming to the area, who is intentionally not trying to steal the weekend, who doesn’t have a show for 2 months, is going to feel hot heading into the biggest wrestling weekend of the year? Fickle!!!

2 Likes

I think you said it yourself, there isn’t alot of discussion right now because their first event is months away, and like MJ said its Wrestlemania season. I don’t think anyone will be able to tell if this is a success or failure for a few more years to come, as fun as speculation may be. I think the first sign (either way ) will be their TV deal, or lack of.

1 Like

If they are able to finalize the deal with warner, it’s a great deal for AEW as it’s a major cable outlet in the u.s and as the history with wrestling. The next challenge for them is to not fall in the same traps WCW felt for back in the day because we all know how tv execs are, if you don’t deliver the goods, no matter how long the contract is for, they will cancel your show in a heartbeat.

Love how everyone’s back on the AEW train. This was the most likely thing from the start if you go back to the first reports.

1 Like

If the story of Sasha trying to quit are true, she should. Imagine being the biggest female star with a national brand on Turner with AEW? Compared to being a midcard jobber to the stars for the next 5 years?

1 Like

If they wouldn’t let The Revival leave, they definitely won’t let Sasha leave.

One of the biggest downfalls of WCW was when they started getting guys over* and then letting them leave (Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, etc.). WWE isn’t going to lose sleep over guys like Neville, Dillinger (if he ends up in AEW) or even Cody Rhodes who weren’t really moving the needle on the current product before they left. But despite recent booking, Sasha Banks is fairly over in the grand scheme of things, and I think it would be a mistake to just let someone like that go to AEW or any other competitor.

Note 1: “getting guys over” or “giving the best wrestlers in the world a platform to get themselves over”

Note 2: I don’t know why Sasha was off TV this week. Obviously, if there’s something else personal going on and not just general dissatisfaction with her current situation, then all of the above is very much besides the point.

Agreed. This was literally one of the earliest rumours that has been rumoured since last fall (Tuesday night series, starting October 1st, possibly running in seasons, on a Turner Network).

In addition - if this is appearing at the upfronts for WarnerMedia / Turner… then it’s likely a signed deal. They wouldn’t be marketing / announcing the show if there wasn’t.

1 Like

On a personal level, i think the peoples working in the talent relation departments of WWE are better businessman then i ever will be. That’s why they gave her time to cool off instead of releasing her. If i was in they position, i would have just release her and be done with all the drama already. But that why i’m here typing my opinion and they are there working for WWE.

The problem with Sasha is that she really believe all the hype that surround her. Yes, she a great performer and yes she pretty much over. That why she been use so much on tv even through they clearly have nothing for her. The problem is that sometimes, plans change last minute and you can’t really throw a temper tantrum every time something happens like that. If she decide to quit after her few weeks off, then i say let her quick, let AEW deal with the drama that his sasha banks if they want her.

But at the same time, will AEW really want her? that’s the question, the last thing you want when you’re a start up is to be compare to WWE right off the bat, so you really have to resist hiring all the WWE rejects. They already have Jericho as a big former WWE guys and the voice of WWE for a generation in Jim Ross, you don’t really need to sign somebody like a sasha even if she would be a great signing for them. WCW try this in the attitude era and that’s why the company went bankrupt, TNA tried this in the mid 2000’s early 2010’s and look were it got them. More recently, just look at ROH trying to bring of all people Enzo and cass to the promotion. That’s a sign of desperation on their part. In other word AEW need to feel special and different from anything else that’s out there right now if they want to still be relevant in 5 years and it’s not by bringing former WWE stars that this will happen.