The NJPW Thread

Don’t be surprised. I hope he wins, but I want to see Ospreay/Ibushi at Wrestle Kingdom and that feels too big for the NEVER title.

I was actually wondering where Marty fits in at WK - he’s gotta be out of the Jr picture having lose to Kushida and now being in Tag League to set anything up. It’s noteworthy they did speak about Marty wanting to prove he can fight heavyweights as he did vs Okada at all in.

Scurll just beat Osprey. Osprey wins Never. Scurll challenges him because he always has Osprey’s number. That gives a chance to put title on Marty while freeing up Osprey for Ibushi. Then have Marty face heavyweight at Dome for Open title and that solved both.

Plenty of Tag League shows to do these matches

But when would they have Marty take the title between Power Struggle & Wrestle Kingdom? They dont normally schedule big singles matches between that time.

I dont really see a match like that during tag league shows, when the tag teams are the focus.

1 Like

They could just do Ospreay/Ibushi for the NEVER title, it probably is too big for that belt, but I think it’d be ok for the dome. I’d much rather see that than anything involving Taichi or Goto tbh.
I don’t think Scurlls getting a featured match at the dome next year I’d guess he’s in one of the undercard multi mans they do. I guess Kushidas challenger will be set up soon – I’d love for Sho to get it, but don’t know whether they’re ready to split those guys up yet.

1 Like

I like the 4way idea for the Jr as it does spotlight a lot of guys and last years was superb. How bout Kushida, Shingo, Sho and Yo. Lot of story to tell by having both Repongi 3k there.

Also, I’d be shocked if Scurll isn’t in some kind of reasonably important tag match. Not booking those guys with contracts coming due would be curious. Thoughts on how Hangman is used? They seemed high on him all summer and now not so much.

Question: does Firing Squad hold both the 6man and Tag?

If Evil is victorious at Power Struggle, is the idea for them to revisit ZSJ / Evil at WK for the IC title?

Dave Meltzer on this week’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter wrote this week that there may be some growing disinterest and unhappiness among wrestlers in NJPW due to new management making the work atmosphere a less fun and more factory-like environment to be apart of.

“Morale with the company was very high as you could tell by any interviews with the talent, particularly during G-1 where the level of work had led to high pride across the board with the feeling they were doing the best matches in the world and producing the best overall product. Now the morale is more weird than anything, with more uncertainty about what will happen next and less confidence than with the old administration. Another person noted that the new team has gotten off to a rough start and that all the wrestlers, both Japanese and American, are talking about how they feel like they are seen as workers in a factory assembly line as opposed to high level athletes or entertainers. The excitement so many had for working here has taken a hit. It’s really a bad time for that with the goal of international expansion and that fun vs. WWE money was a key to a lot of people, but if you lower the fun aspect, that changes the equation, and basically we’re coming in on the single most interesting and important contract season since New Japan started garnering some international growth.”

I’m a little concerned about this.

1 Like

Sounds like ol’ Harold Meij doesnt need to fuck things up on camera like people feared, he’s doing a shitty enough job behind the scenes.

Trying to expand an increasingly successful business “isn’t fun”?

I’m not – sounds like new management has got off an a bad foot, they’re new in the business and there’s plenty of time to sort things out, make amends where needed. The risk is the Elite guys leaving in January, which would be a blow but not terminal. Okada, Naito and Tanahashi are under contract for 2019 afaik, so as long as there isn’t a huge exodus like AJPW they should be fine.

From a personal point of view I really wouldn’t mind if Kenny/Bucks left as I think it’d shake things up in an interesting way, but for their sake I hope they stay.

1 Like

NIGHT 1 of “SUPER JUNIOR TAG LEAGUE (2018)”, The tournament
matches are as follows:

1. Tiger Mask & Jyushin Thunder Liger vs. Robbie Eagles & Taiji Ishimori.
  2. ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Soberano Jr. & Volador Jr. .
  3. Chris Sabin & KUSHIDA vs. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru ©.
  4. SHO & YOH vs. Shingo Takagi & BUSHI.

Here’s hoping that Robbie Eagles has an amazing tournament.

1st night of Super Junior Tag League rocked. I highly recommend the opening match and the main event.

3 Likes

NIGHT 2 of “SUPER JUNIOR TAG LEAGUE (2018)” tonight, LIVE on NJPW World in Japanese & English.

The tournament matches are as follows:

1. Tiger Mask & Jyushin Thunder Liger vs. Soberano Jr. & Volador Jr. .
  2. ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Robbie Eagles & Taiji Ishimori.
  3. Chris Sabin & KUSHIDA vs. Shingo Takagi & BUSHI.
  4. SHO & YOH vs. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru ©.

Current standing after Night 1:

=1st: Bushi and Shingo Takagi 2
=1st: Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado 2
=1st: Volador Jr. and Soberano Jr. 2
=1st: Taiji Ishimori and Robbie Eagles 2
=4th: Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask 0
=4th ACH and Ryusuke Taguchi 0
=4th: Kushida and Chris Sabin 0
=4th: Sho and Yoh 0

Thanks for the recommendation. Opener was so good I just ended up watching the whole show. LIJ is gonna be unstoppable when Hiromu is back.

NIGHT 3 of “SUPER JUNIOR TAG LEAGUE (2018)” is Friday October 19th at 18:30 (Japan time), and is only V.O.D. on NJPW World in Japanese (English T.B.C.).

The tournament matches are as follows:

1. Tiger Mask & Jyushin Thunder Liger vs. Shingo Takagi & BUSHI.
  2. ACH & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru ©.

Non-tournament matches are as follows

1. Toa Henare, Chris Sabin & KUSHIDA vs. Ayato Yoshida, Soberano Jr. & Volador Jr. .
  2. Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero, SHO & YOH vs. Jay White, Gedo, Robbie Eagles & Taiji Ishimori.

Current standing after Night 2:

=1st: Taiji Ishimori and Robbie Eagles 4
=1st: Bushi and Shingo Takagi 4
=3rd: Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado © 2
=3rd: Volador Jr. and Soberano Jr. 2
=3rd: Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask 2
=3rd: Sho and Yoh 2
=7th ACH and Ryusuke Taguchi 0
=7th: Kushida and Chris Sabin 0

Robbie has been amazing so far…only problem is that tonight event is on delay & may not show “non-tournament” matches.

watching Korakuen from 27th, After the 6 man honma/young lion match I had to switch to Japanese commentary. Lanny Poffo was ruining the flow of these other two guys who were really trying to put on a good show. Would like to hear the two of them without Poffo

Kevin Kelly you are well missed good brother

1 Like

Why would they ever do English commentary without Kevin

Don Callis is back for #WK13! Can’t Wait!

really like Rocky but the Kelly/Callis combo is the best