The Revolt open up about their departure from WWE, meetings with Vince McMahon

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/05/06/the-revolt-open-up-about-their-departure-from-wwe-meetings-with-vince-mcmahon/

Dax Harwood (Scott Dawson) and Cash Wheeler (Dash Wilder) were the most recent guests on Chris Jericho’s ‘Talk Is Jericho’ podcast. The duo spoke about their optimism for the future of their careers, their meetings with Vince McMahon, the clown-like costumes that were presented to them and how they reacted to Vince McMahon, Bruce Prichard and Mark Carrano who were in the room when they were shown the photos. Harwood and Wheeler also dove into why they initially decided to request their releases from WWE and how much they wanted to improve the tag team division within the company.

Below are highlights and notes from the interview:

– Both Dax Hardwood and Cash Wheeler shared their respective Dusty Rhodes stories and how close they were to Dusty. They said that the Hall Of Famer was very supportive of them as a duo and made it clear that he wanted them to succeed.

The Revolt on their last meeting with Vince McMahon/ Vince being surprised that they were so well-spoken because of their southern accents:

Dax Hardwood
: “Our last meeting we had with Vince, we were talking to him and telling him our grievances and everything and he said, ‘Man, you guys are so well spoken. We can send you out to the world and you can do all these meetings and meet and greets.”

Cash Wheeler added: “You could do Good Morning America.”

Dax Hardwood: “Yeah, he couldn’t believe that we would be able to speak to the public. It was mind blowing.”

– Cash Wheeler on their plan to initially request their release from WWE/they wanted to wait until they were on top to do it: “We had said, ‘After this loop, let’s wait until we’re on the upswing so it doesn’t look like we’re upset because we’re losing. Let’s wait until we’re on the upswing and then ask. That way, people know it’s not just about us. It’s about the tag team division as a whole,’ and we’re still adamant that long-term, there’s just not enough attention paid to the tag team division because there’s so, so many good tag teams there all the time that I think could contribute so much more. But we had the victory that night against Lucha House Party and we knew the tag titles were in our immediate future and that’s when we asked because we wanted to make a point that, ‘Hey, we know things are going decent for us. They are going well, all things considered, but we’re not happy.’ The tag team titles, they don’t really mean anything, and this is nothing against Braun . I think Braun’s a great guy. I get along with him really well. But, he had steamrolled the entire tag team division and then a ten-year old or whatever won the tag titles at WrestleMania, and then no tag team were featured on SummerSlam until the last minute, they added the Women’s Tag Titles which I’m all for. It’s just that it was so last minute that people didn’t know.”

– Cash Wheeler talks wanting the tag team division to improve and be more focused on: “They gave us the lip service and I think they meant it but we never bought in. We told them, ‘Look, if things change, we’ll gladly re-sign. We don’t want to leave. But, if things don’t change, we see no point in us staying because we want to make tag team wrestling mean something and if it’s not gonna happen, there’s no point being here just collecting a paycheck.”

– Cash on the clown-like costumes/laughing in Vince McMahon, Mark Carrano and Bruce Prichard’s faces when they showed them the pictures: “So we had been trying for a while to get a meeting with Vince. We knew it was gonna be pretty unlikely because of the whole — the FOX transition was extremely hectic and the XFL thing was happening which was extremely hectic and we knew that he was busy, and you’re gonna be struggling to get time with him as it is, but when he’s got so much other stuff going on — a billion dollar deal with FOX and then a new football company’s trying to relaunch, we knew it wasn’t gonna be easy, but part of our negotiation was that we wanted to talk to him and air our grievances face-to-face with him, because he knew a little bit about why we were not happy, but we had never got to sit down, face-to-face, man-to-man-to-man and tell him, ‘Hey, this is exactly why we don’t wanna stay’ and it kept getting delayed and delayed and delayed and finally we were told, ‘It might not happen,’ and then we were ringside one day putting the match together and have leaked online now. They are out there and they are 100 percent legit. They were handed to us by Vince McMahon himself.

We sat down, Vince hands us these, and I put my hand on the Bible. I’ll tell you right now, I laughed out loud in front of everybody. It was me and David , whatever years. The number went higher than that. They offered more than that for us to do the clown, Cat in the Hat, Flavor Flav-clock stuff, and we said, ‘We’ll do this as long as you want us to until our contracts expire but we’re not re-signing for any amount of money, unless it’s way, way up there but we’ll give it 110 percent, we’ll have fun with it’ and I think that kind of made it seem like, ‘Okay, they’re serious. Let’s pull them off TV, pull them off the road and let’s just wait it out.’”

– Dax Hardwood reveals that he received a text from Bret Hart on the day of their release: “The day we were granted our release, that day I got a text message from Bret Hart, and he told me how proud he was. He asked me to send it to Daniel which I did. He told me how proud he was of us and how proud he was we stood up for ourselves and stood up for what we believed in because it would’ve been so easy to just sit back and collect the money, and when he sent me that text, I knew beyond any shadow of any kind of doubt that we had done the right thing because the guy who is the king of standing up for himself, I mean he punched Vince in the face. The guy who is the epitome of standing up for what he believes in took five minutes out of his day to text me and tell me how proud he was of us for doing that and that’s when I was like, ‘Oh hell yeah, we’re on the right path now.’”

– Cash Wheeler says they do not wanting to jump back into another long-term situation right now: “We’ve gotten some offers from multiple places that obviously are very interesting to us and we’re not gonna jump to any conclusion. We just got out of a really long-term relationship. We’re not looking for a rebound right off the bat. We don’t want to jump from one situation to another without really weighing all the pros and cons and taking our time and seeing what’s out there because wrestling right now is maybe more exciting for wrestlers than it’s ever been as far as options and places and being in control of your own destiny really. So, we’re excited to kind of just sit back and relax and enjoy some time off that we haven’t really had in six years, seven years other than one or two injuries here and there and now we’re healthy, getting healthier and we just sit back, relax. He gets to spend time with his family, I get to spend time with my dog and we get to wait and call the shots which is something we haven’t done in a long time.”

1 Like

Great interview. They’re totally right about WWE not caring one bit about tag team wrestling. Also liked that they mentioned the North and the Briscoes as teams they would like to face

1 Like