The Rock endorses Biden

Now cue all the usual suspects saying “celebrities should stay in their lane,” while also loving C-listers who endorse the president.

4 Likes

Very well made, “DJ” endorsed his preferred candidate and managed to stay completely out of talking politics. Smart career move.

Best part is that it’s a seven-minute video and they don’t say “Trump” once.

3 Likes

And it never ceases to amaze me that The Rock has muscles on muscles on muscles. His shirts must be really stretchy.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Emmy’s last week when Dan Levy encouraged people to vote, never said 'Trump" one time, but it was obvious what he was implying.

1 Like

Media and other influencers need to take this same approach. He-who-shall-not-be-named fed off the attention last election cycle.

100% agreed. In general, people don’t like to feel like someone is talking down to them. When celebs are over the top with their approach, I think it can have an inverse effect.

For example, does anyone here consider changing their political stance when Colby Covington runs around with his “Make America Great again” hat on talking about how great Trump is. I doubt it.

Agreed. Though my intent wasn’t just to isolate Trump as much as to highlight that I would rather hear somebody who is endorsing a candidate talk about “why I like this guy” instead of “why I hate the other guy”. Even if the implications are there (and not even all that subtle).

I work at a University, and our students are getting increasingly interested in social issues and politics. One of the points we’re trying to drive home to them is that you can believe whatever you want, but you need to be able to defend it. And while “fuck Trump” might feel like a pretty compelling case, it’s not a complete and cogent argument that is actually going to contribute to the discourse.

2 Likes

Some people just don’t like seeing celebrities voicing an opinion, especially when it’s one they don’t like. Doesn’t matter what it’s about. There’s a Premier League footballer here in England called Marcus Rashford who’s used his platform to push the government to help out kids in poverty during holidays get free meals who would usually get them during school. Over 1M kids have to deal with this throughout the country and because of the publicity this got here the government made a U Turn and gave out free meals vouchers for all those kids during the summer holidays. He put out some tweets on Friday looking to push it into other holidays and it led to replies saying “stick to football” and other such derogatory replies. His reply to that was to score a fantastic solo goal yesterday. As I say, doesn’t matter what it’s about and how many poor children being helped, there are still people out there who don’t like celebrities having that opinion.

1 Like

Agreed. I also think that many enjoy it when celebs share an opinion that aligns with their own, however when a celeb shares an opinion different from theirs, they want the celebrity to shut up.

I also believe that quiet often fans don’t believe the opinions of some of these celebs and view their “opinions” as nothing more then PR.

1 Like

“Celebrities shouldn’t be political unless they’re saying the exact things I that I say” - Dumbasses

3 Likes

“Stick to sports” - Twitter jagoff who, by his own definition, also isn’t ‘qualified’ to discuss politics

1 Like

Dwayne Johnson has very little to gain and a lot to lose by making this kind of endorsement. He didn’t just make a post but did a full on PR video for Biden/Harris.

Good for him for taking a stand.

2 Likes

He’s probably thinking long term. Cena never really gets into politics either because he’d like to keep his options open and not make rash decisions

Yeah, if somebody wants to be eternally pissed at The Rock just because he endorsed Biden/Harris, there’s nothing he can do about that. But he didn’t actually say anything in that video that makes a political stand. It’s about as non-controversial as a statement of support can be in 2020.

He made a video with Biden/Harris. Unless he also makes one with Trump then the obvious message has been sent to the 60+ million people that voted for Trump that he doesn’t agree with their politics.

Most of them won’t care. But some will choose not to see his next movie, not to watch his next NBC show, to unfollow him on Facebook, etc.

Dwayne didn’t need to do anything. And I don’t think his endorsement changes anybodies mind. By saying something he has impacted his status and financial standing. Which makes it so much more remarkable that he took a side.

He and his family got COVID and he’s a racialized person. I think he was just so pissed at the lack of leadership that he morally had to take a stand. It’s like when Jeff Bezos said he doesn’t care if he loses bigoted customers. Staying silent is, arguably, being complicit in something that you feel is just plain wrong.

1 Like

People will look back on this and realize it was the right decision and wonder why anyone alive thought it wasn’t.

1 Like

I’m just waiting for his name to be added to the Qanon list. Funny how it’s only people who are publicly leftwing supporters that are targeted.

1 Like

What is a qanon list?

It’s already happened. They seem to think the original Dwayne Johnson died and this is a replaced one :woozy_face:

2 Likes