The Twilight Zone (2019)

Has anyone on here watched Jordan Peele’s remake of The Twilight Zone?

They’ve released two episodes so far on CBS All Access. One is a remake of “Nightmare at 2000 Feet” called “Nightmare at 30000 Feet” about an airplane passenger who listens to a podcast that foreshadows his own demise while on a plane.

The other episode is called “The Comedian”. It’s about a comedian who tries to use current events and politics for laughs, and it fails to garner much of a reaction to the audience. He then switches his tone telling jokes about his real life. The twist is that every person or thing he tells a joke about on stage goes away and is erased from history after he tells the joke.

I felt like both episodes have been decent so far, but haven’t lived up to the original Twilight Zone yet. I also find it interesting how the show is TV-MA, and it isn’t uncommon for F-Bombs to be dropped.

I thought both episodes were decent, nothing spectacular. The problem is we are comparing it to the legendary show from the 50’s and nothing will ever truly compare. But I am curious to see where this show goes. Did you notice the little nods to the original. Alot of the names that the comedian wipes from existence were names of characters from the original

You’re right, nothing will truly ever compare to the awesomeness of the original.

I did not catch the nods to the original in the comedian episode. I’ll have to go back and re-watch it. The Comedian episode could have had a few minutes shaved off of it. It seemed like it was running long, and I could see the ending coming. “Nightmare at 30,000 Feet” was a little less predictable.

I was surprised to see the actor who played the comedian made a cameo at WM this week in Batista’s corner in the front row.

I already had CBS Access because i’m a big Star Trek fan and could not resist getting it for Star Trek Discovery. I’ll probably cancel my membership again when the season ends though so I thought I would watch Twilight Zone while I had it.

Honestly I liked it. I’ve only seen a few episodes of the original series so I don’t have much to compare it too. Instead I was comparing it to Black Mirror since that is a lot more recent and I liked the Twilight Zone episodes more than most Black Mirror episodes I’ve watched.

1 Like

OK, I’m ready to give up on the show 3 episodes in. The remake has gotten too woke/too political and doesn’t have enough of the sci-fi/creepy twist factor for me. I know the original version had some political messages in it, but they were often times more subtle and woven into the story better.

I can see where you’re coming from. Peele had made “horror/sci-fi/social issues” his thing, so getting the right mix won’t always work for everyone.

1 Like