The Undertaker recalls talking to Vince McMahon before he resigned from WWE, can't imagine McMahon having no control if WWE is sold

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/03/12/the-undertaker-recalls-talking-to-vince-mcmahon-before-he-resigned-from-wwe-cant-imagine-mcmahon-having-no-control-if-wwe-is-sold/

Vince McMahon having no control if WWE is sold is not something Undertaker can envision. 

In the summer of 2022, Vince McMahon announced that he would be resigning from his role as Chairman and CEO of WWE. 

Fast forward to present day, Nick Khan is the sole CEO, Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque is the Chief Content Officer and Vince is back as the Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors. McMahon being back with WWE was discussed by The Undertaker during his chat with Ariel Helwani for BT Sport

The day before McMahon resigned, he informed The Undertaker about his choice which led to the two getting into an argument. Initially, Undertaker thought McMahon was pranking him. Even now that Vince is back on the Board of Directors, Undertaker explained why he feels that could be challenging for him. If the company is sold, Undertaker has a hard time believing there would be a plan where Vince does not have some control. 

He (Vince McMahon) called me the day before (he resigned from his role as CEO/Chairman of WWE)… and we got in an argument because I thought he was ribbing me. I said, ‘There’s no way.’ I said, ‘There is absolutely no way you’re stepping away.’ He goes, ‘No Mark, this is what I’m gonna do’ and I’m like, ‘No man. Why are you f*cking me? This is me’ and we actually ended up kind of going at it a little bit and finally, I was like, ‘Alright, okay.’ Sure enough, next day, Vince resigned but I knew, there’s no way. There’s no way he’d stay away. Even in this role, I think it’s gonna be challenging for him. That’s his baby. He’s the one that created this whole thing. I know he wants to make sure that these TV deals and everything are done the right way and right now, I think that’s his sole motivation. But you know, that’s Vince McMahon. I don’t know. We’ll see where it goes but, a WWE without Vince, that’s just hard to imagine. 

I would have a really hard time imagining that there wouldn’t be some kind of contingency that he has some type of control there (if the company were to be sold). Even if the company was to get sold, which I don’t have any feeling one way or the other whether that’s gonna happen or not… I just can’t imagine somebody coming in and buying the company and running it the same way with the dedication to the detail that the way it’s run now. 

Earlier in the conversation, the WWE Hall of Famer stated that he’s never bringing back ‘The Deadman’ persona. He added that for Raw 30, people were expecting him to show up on-screen as that character. He feels he has pulled the curtain back on it too much to go back.

They had a different vision (for my Raw 30 appearance). They didn’t even know that I wasn’t gonna have the hat and coat. They totally thought that I was coming (as) old Undertaker. I was like, ‘No.’ See, that’s part of me and the storytelling. When I lifted the curtain, when I lifted it back and pulled it back, that’s gone, it’s gone now… I won’t bring the hat and coat back out (not even for a one-off at WrestleMania)… So when I went to The American Badass earlier, there was kind of an event that happened; I went away, I was injured and then I came back and then I had that new presentation and then the same thing when I went away again which was something really big that kind of put me back into that old school Undertaker kind of mindset. Again, with me, now that people know that I can talk and that I have actual thoughts that aren’t revolved around digging holes and taking souls, I think that character will live forever in our memory but I don’t think that I can bring it back after ‘The Last Ride’ (documentary), after the A&E Biography, after doing all these shows, I just don’t think it works.

Ahead of WWE’s Premium Live Events, Undertaker hosts his ‘1 deadMAN SHOW’ and the next one is scheduled for March 24th in Paradise, Nevada. 

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit the original source with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.