The WWE and Rich Swann part ways

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2018/02/15/the-wwe-and-rich-swann-part-ways/

The WWE announced on Thursday that Rich Swann will not be returning to the company.

A statement was issued by the WWE with the following announcement:

“Rich Swann and WWE have mutually agreed to part ways as of today, February 15, 2018. WWE wishes Swann the best in all of his future endeavors.”

Swann has been off WWE television since December after an arrest in Gainesville, Florida. Swann was accused of domestic battery and false imprisonment/kidnapping involving his wife, Vannarah Riggs (wrestler Su Yung).

The charges were dropped last month due to insufficient evidence.

Swann has been wrestling for a decade and was a popular figure on the independent scene. He signed with the WWE in 2015 and began wrestling for NXT. His first significant role was participating in the Cruiserweight Classic in 2016 and later became a staple of the division following the tournament.

Swann won the Cruiserweight title in November 2016 from Brian Kendrick and kept it for two months until losing it to Neville in January 2017 at the Royal Rumble.

Can’t say that I’m surprised really, it would have been impossible for him to return regardless of the charges being dropped.

Probably a smart move on both parts. Since the charges were dropped, he may be able to come back later, but right now it would a bad move to showcase anyone with even a hint of that stuff, especially after Enzo.

Bear in mind that the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence (apparently his wife refused to testify also, but I’m not sure how true that is as it’s not mentioned here and I’ve not gone searching for more info since hearing that) and he was not cleared of the charges. Innocent until proven guilty, of course, but the case here is simply not enough evidence either way.

This is a very different situation to the Enzo one, due to Swann clearly letting WWE know the situation immediately and the fact that the statement from WWE feels far warmer. It is entirely possible that Swann will eventually make a return once/if he manages to put this whole affair behind him. We’ll just have to see what happens I guess.

Nice birthday present.

Will get picked up by another company, and I will treat it like his WWE run…mildly interested and forgetting all about him until he does something else stupid.

His personal issues aside I’ve never been a big Rich Swann fan. Can be very solid in the ring but there’s just something about him I don’t like.

Yeah, it sucks to leave the WWE. But the Indie wrestling business is so strong and lucrative right now. From the poster, “House of Hardcore” threw out some signs of Swann being at the show. It sucks that Swann is leaving, at the same time, as 205 Live is getting better.