This is why we are losing the fight with COVID

They can talk about it all they want, but people gonna be people. I’d expect big gatherings this weekend in celebration and in demonstration and no matter how many times people get hit over the head with rising case counts, they just gonna do what they want to do anyway. America - love it or hate it. You can change the person in charge but you cannot change the people. We’ll see what happens. Numbers are getting numbing. I don’t believe coverage like we’ve seen has even helped. It’s made it so divisive. I’d be shocked if that kind of coverage continues under Biden. They will not want to make it look like he came in and had no control.

Just talking about this with someone else. The insanity of the election is overshadowing covid. Combine that with Thanksgiving and you have the potential for disaster.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree.

So for the last few days for the entire US
Nov 1- 74, 236
Nov 2- 93, 642
Nov 3- 92, 599
Nov 4- 107,872
Nov 5- 121, 504
Nov 6- Between 122k to 128k (Can’t find a concise number)

Fuck. With the election going on I hadn’t even realized there was such a spike in numbers.

You’ve got it easy. Here we went from 100 to 4000 in not even two weeks. And discovered (to absolutely no one’s surprise) that the government did absolutely NOTHING since March to prepare the system. It’s absolute chaos with the ambulances and the hospitals. A 33 years old man died the other day because for 4 hours no hospital wanted to took him in.

It’s sickening.

November 1: These rallies are dangerous and super spreader results
November 7: These crowds in the streets are the most beautiful thing

This is why we are losing the fight with COVID

Why would one side take the other side serious on anything? Time to acknowledge Republicans are not the only ones guilty of politicizing Masks + Social Distancing.

The American people will not be controlled, it’s only a matter of what you believe is acceptable and not acceptable. Trump events were unacceptable. Mass gatherings against Trump were acceptable. Been that way since May.

I often use this line of thinking when it comes to debates: don’t give the other side their argument.
Well next time one side says how dangerous it is to have mass gatherings - look no further than today. over 100k new cases and based on these crowds and the applauding of these crowds by Media, nobody cares. So next time they care, or tell people to care, don’t except the other side to listen.

You’re not really arguing in good faith here.

November 1: These rallies are dangerous and super spreader results
(These rallies are inside with people packed together with known people having been exposed recently to COVID)

November 7: These crowds in the streets are the most beautiful thing
(These people are outside)

1 Like

Europe being rocked in some places right now.

Wonder if it will follow the same pattern as we saw in the spring. NY got nailed a couple of weeks after Italy.

Definitely not the same thing, but lets not pretend that thousands of people celebrating in the streets is a good thing. While the virus does spread a lot easier indoors, it’s been proven that it can also spread outdoors especially when people are active, close together, and letting their masks fall below their mouths and/or noses. Feel free to Google it (kidding lol).

For sure being outside in groups right now isn’t ideal (though today might be viewed as a special day that won’t happen again for a while). But I’m not going to scream hypocrisy about this or make false equivalences. Like the BLM protests, we didn’t see much of a relation to COVID levels increasing, on the other hand Herman Cain went to a indoor rally, got COVID, and died.

1 Like

Seems like eating at a restaurant indoors is way worse than any of these protests or rallies.

Imagine getting covid bc you just had to eat at Applebee’s.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong.

A protest is one thing, you are fighting for something. It’s still not necessarily a good thing when it comes to covid, but at least I get it. Celebrating in the streets right now IMO is childish an selfish. You’re not doing it for a cause, you’re not doing it for a greater good, you’re having fun at the expense of society.

It’s nice to have opinions.

I think there are people celebrating right now that are happy some economic relief might be coming, or perhaps see their health care improved somewhat. Hard to shit on people for that, but here you are.

2 Likes

Like I said above, I understand the reasons for the BLM protests. Whether or not they contributed to the spread of covid is debatable. I’ve read the reports that are out there, though I question the accuracy. But regardless, at least in that case I understand, the were fighting for something.

People celebrating in the streets because of an election win is simply not smart. Anyone that tries to argue for it is simply being dishonest with themselves.

No need to make a strawman argument here, you can do better.

I have zero issue with people being happy for change, I’m one of them as I am ecstatic that Biden won. However, there is no need to be celebrating in the streets right now. Defending this and making excuses for it is being dishonest. Putting people’s lives at risk because you want to celebrate is selfish.

Throw all the condescending/sarcastic comments at me you want, but that doesn’t change anything. Or keep lying to yourself, I really don’t care.

I’d like to see everyone knuckle down for the winter in hopes the vaccine shows up.

Make some sacrifices (holidays, eating in restaurants, going to bars, whatever else).

1 Like

Indoors is higher risk than outdoors. No question.

Are these celebrations in close quarters without masks a good idea with record COVID levels? Of course not. However it’s not as risky as a large scale indoor gathering.

I would prefer if we did neither from a public health standpoint.

2 Likes

My father right now is going through a life threatening illness and I haven’t seen him in close quarters since March. Nothing more I want then to Visit with him or celebrate with him what could be his last Xmas. We all have to make sacrifices right now, that’s why I have zero tolerance for people want to “party” and “celebrate”.

This is why the sarcastic/condescending comments from @POSTmaster pissed me off so much. I get people are happy, I’m with them, but at the end of the day stop being selfish and do what is right.

2 Likes

One of my kids is at high risk.

I haven’t been in anyone’s house and only been to the store maybe 10 times since March. The holidays are going to suck. I meet friends in the park and we stay as far away as possible. It’s miserable when it’s cold.

We are about to go down to one income bc we can’t risk the kids going to school.

There is an end in sight if these vaccines are coming. But it does frustrate me when I see people not taking it seriously. The numbers in my area are going up and the governor is considering restrictions.

2 Likes